: rear engined RWD K20 shifter help

K4NEB
05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Hey everyone

im building a rear engined rear wheel drive buggy and i need some help with a shifter and cables.

what do people use on the elise? if someone could point me in the right direction for that id be very happy.

i need a sports shifter as compact as possible that i can bolt to a flat floor.

with the elise is there a mechanism bracket that bolts onto the tranny to allow the cables to go forwards ?? im sure ive seen something somewhere.

thanks everyone

kb58
05-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Buy my book in the sig - it's all in there :) If you don't want to buy the book, go through my build diary and see how I did it.

K4NEB
05-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Buy my book in the sig - it's all in there :) If you don't want to buy the book, go through my build diary and see how I did it.

where do i find your build diary?

kb58
05-27-2015, 12:29 PM
http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Old%20Diaries/index.html

Here's how I did the forward-facing mount. A lot of designing but pretty straight forward.

http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Old%20Diaries/2010Jan_Dec/short_cables.JPG

K4NEB
05-27-2015, 01:22 PM
http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Old%20Diaries/index.html

Here's how I did the forward-facing mount. A lot of designing but pretty straight forward.

http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Old%20Diaries/2010Jan_Dec/short_cables.JPG

ahh yea i see. i could do something like that.

does the gear selection work in a different order now?

kb58
05-28-2015, 07:40 AM
It's all in the book, but be sure to do you research for putting it together right. At some point you have to be willing to compensate those who figured it out for you in exchange for that knowledge.

K4NEB
06-01-2015, 06:54 AM
It's all in the book, but be sure to do you research for putting it together right. At some point you have to be willing to compensate those who figured it out for you in exchange for that knowledge.

yes, thankyou.

i will have to have a good look through your website.

ageshelin
06-06-2015, 08:23 PM
The Elise conversions use an adapter for an Elise shifter.

SunSpeed
EliseParts
Innovative

All have an adaptor for an Elise shifter. All have web-sites.

The midlana is a nice set-up.

K-tuned was promising to come out with one. You have to wait.

Quaife sequential is a quick way to get a strong sequential tranny and resolve the shifter issue! :) (It comes with and you only push or pull, no gate.)

If you want my old Elise shifter and sunSpeed adaptor. PM me. I went the Quaife route a year ago.

Anton

K4NEB
06-07-2015, 04:21 AM
The Elise conversions use an adapter for an Elise shifter.

SunSpeed
EliseParts
Innovative

All have an adaptor for an Elise shifter. All have web-sites.

The midlana is a nice set-up.

K-tuned was promising to come out with one. You have to wait.

Quaife sequential is a quick way to get a strong sequential tranny and resolve the shifter issue! :) (It comes with and you only push or pull, no gate.)

If you want my old Elise shifter and sunSpeed adaptor. PM me. I went the Quaife route a year ago.

Anton

ahh yes the quaife , if only i had the money.

ive seen a few pictures of the elise shifter cable brackets, they look like theyd be perfect for my application, im still yet to be sure though as the engine isnt fitted yet so im not sure 100% , waiting on the chassis builders atm.

the other hurdle is a shifter, one thatll bolt to a flat floor and one as compact as possible.

the hybrid rsx shifter would be good but im not sure if it work spun 180 degrees, in my head it works but im not sure

ageshelin
06-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Any FWD shifter will work.... However you will face either one of 2 obstacles and problems.

1. Leave it pointing forward. Will work as stock (H-pattern). However, the cables will have top run forward, turn around and run back and may have to be turned around again to connect to the tranny i.e. 2x 180 degree bends + other bends in cable. You will have to get custom much longer cables.... I heard that K-tuned can make any length cable. This solution seems messy.

2. The obvious choice would seem to turn the shifter 180 degrees. The H-pattern will be upside down from stock i.e. the shifter has been turned around. The cables will be shorter. Still a 180 degree bend maybe required. This depends on the transmission adapter, if any. In Elise case, the cables are still much longer than stock. In stock FWD location the tranny is right there in front of the shifter.... Therefore, most likely, will need custom cables. I guess one can get used to an upside-down H pattern.

I though about all of these possibilities....

An Elise shifter is not great by any stretch of imagination.... It is mounted to a flat floor.

The Midlana is a nice part... The builder never revealed too much details to us on the forum. :)

I just read this on LotusTalk:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f163/new-shifter-242681/index3.html

Above seems to be the nicest and the $$$, bespoke from England!

Anton

P.S. I went through all of this, before. If you build any kind of power, the stock tranny will not last.... With all the hassle that Quaife solves + strength + sequential + no shifter problems + possibility of paddles + the strength of USD$ (although the British pound is doing well...) I would think long and hard.....

ahh yes the quaife , if only i had the money.

ive seen a few pictures of the elise shifter cable brackets, they look like theyd be perfect for my application, im still yet to be sure though as the engine isnt fitted yet so im not sure 100% , waiting on the chassis builders atm.

the other hurdle is a shifter, one thatll bolt to a flat floor and one as compact as possible.

the hybrid rsx shifter would be good but im not sure if it work spun 180 degrees, in my head it works but im not sure

kb58
06-07-2015, 07:11 AM
The Midlana is a nice part... The builder never revealed too much details to us on the forum. :)
Fine :)

Turn any shifter around backwards so the cables point aft and connect the push-pull cables to the forward side of the transaxle. By reversing things twice, one inversion undoes the other, and presto, a normal shift pattern.

xKAMRONx
06-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Turn any shifter around backwards so the cables point aft and connect the push-pull cables to the forward side of the transaxle. By reversing things twice, one inversions undoes the other, and presto, a normal shift pattern.

I'm buying your book pretty soon once I get my secret car here :) Thanks for the help. I loved your build thread.

timot_one
06-10-2015, 05:24 PM
I'll just throw this out there, without any experience with a rear engine k series set up. There are two kinds of shifters and shift mechanisms found on k series motors that work opposite of each other. The k20a2 and k24a2. Has anyone tried using a k24 shift box with a k20 shift mechanism/transmission or vice versa?

AWOC
06-11-2015, 03:55 PM
last time I checked, Z3 trans shift mechanism and TSX are identical. You can use a TSX shift box and cables on a Z3 and vise versa. Someone correct If I'm wrong.

4dvti
06-13-2015, 07:30 PM
You could use 2000-2006 mr2 shifter box and cables with the Innovative shifter mechanism. It works in the mr2. I don't see why you can't use it in a buggy. It's just the same as using jdm dc5 shifter box and cables in an ek/eg/dc2 etc.

Being in the UK as well, both parts are easily available- the mr2 bits and the reverse shifter mechanism from Innovative. Or you can make your own reverse shifter mechanism.

drtye
06-14-2015, 04:37 AM

Turn any shifter around backwards so the cables point aft and connect the push-pull cables to the forward side of the transaxle. By reversing things twice, one inversions undoes the other, and presto, a normal shift pattern.

You really are too nice. Anybody willing to do a little tinkering should have been able to figure that out. I did years ago after you posted it in your build diary wondering how you made that work.

Mixwell
06-16-2015, 08:56 AM
seen this yet?

http://www.innovativemounts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=50507

Mixwell
06-16-2015, 10:35 AM
for use with an mr2 spyder shifter box...

HickamHatch
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
seen this yet?

http://www.innovativemounts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=50507

wow, thats badass

Mixwell
09-01-2015, 10:11 AM
i should have a review by the end of the month of that shifter adapter.

Mixwell
04-04-2018, 09:15 AM
here's a new option that you can use RSX shifters by rotating 180 degrees

https://www.huxracing.com/kswap-shift-bracket