Twin disc shim or not - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
comish71

Default Twin disc shim or not

Hey guys, I need your help. I am getting ready to install an exedy twin disc in a 02-04 type s tranny, k20/24 and I noticed the thread for correcting improper clutch geometry. Does anyone shim the pivot ball for these twin disc clutches as well? I had issues hanging from 1st to 2nd.
comish71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
comish71

Default Re: Twin disc shim or not

Anyone?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

lol
vdubkilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
negrok20r
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
Well I have a comp twin disc and have had issues with my clutch .I would definitely shim the pivot ball even one washer can make a big difference . Also the 99-00 em1 clutch master cylinder has a longer rod with more adjustment from what I hear and I am gonna put one in my car and try it out .The stock oem civic eg master cyl just wasnt designed for a twin disc lol

I know of someone who did this and the tob was in the pressure plate all the time so it used to makeNA winny noise and the tob was shot after 1-150 miles
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Well your friend must not have installed a "Clutch stop " at the pedal to prevent the clutch from traveling that far so thats his own fault for not following proper installation of a clutch stop and properly adjusting the clutch http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2600973
Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

I will definitely be installing a washer behind the pivot ball when I pull my transmission this winter as I could kick myself for not having done it when I had the trans out this summer oh well live and learn
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
k20buildinprogress
Lifetime Member

Does the pedal stop, stop you from pushing the pedal to far down? Or coming up, so there's no play?

Mark Imma text you about putting a shim in.
k20buildinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Text me anytime man ! as far as the stop , It stops it from traveling down to far . Some people don't install a stop and don't have problems but if you shim the pivot ball or install a different master cyl. its probably very wise to install a stop .The bottom line is the clutch needs to be properly adjusted so it does not travel to far thus causing t/b issues ect...The top clutch switch in my eg was removed and we put a transmission bolt in it with a nut on it and it works perfectly as a stop . I have a few transmissions here and recently I removed the pivot ball from one to install a washer behind it to compare the difference in travel of the t/b with and without a washer behind the pivot ball .Just one standard washer made a big difference maybe I will take some pics and post them up so we can all see the difference .
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
iBoost
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Well your friend must not have installed a "Clutch stop " at the pedal to prevent the clutch from traveling that far so thats his own fault for not following proper installation of a clutch stop and properly adjusting the clutch http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2600973
a clutch stop would not affect what negrok20r is describing.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
negrok20r
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
You Got it
It was the pivot point washer that he add that kept the fork TOB on the PP all the time so the TOB was spinning all the time with the clutch
Then He removed it and ploblem solve ...
I didn't do that in my twin cc and i havent had issues because of it
5000 miles and going
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Your right a clutch stop would not but neither would a 99-00 cmc or shimming the pivot ball if they were installed and adjusted properly sounds to me like he should have adjusted it at the cmc to prevent the constant contact of the t/b to pp
Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negrok20r View Post
You Got it
It was the pivot point washer that he add that kept the fork TOB on the PP all the time so the TOB was spinning all the time with the clutch
Then He removed it and ploblem solve ...
I didn't do that in my twin cc and i havent had issues because of it
5000 miles and going
So what car and what chassis do you have ? mine a 94 eg and I was using a stock cmc and having issues
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
comish71

Thanks for the response guys. I do have a stock cmc in my 94 eg. I will place the shim under the pivot ball. I just wasn't sure about the shim in a twin disc as there was no specific mention of twin disc clutches in the thread for correcting proper clutch geometry.

Do the exedy twin discs need a pedal stop as well? I didn't see it in the instructions for it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #14
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Well I just installed the 99-00 cmc and it made no difference at all .Also I measured it in every possible way and it is the same length , width . ect... so for those who said it was bigger with more adjustment its not .It does look to be better quality but it works exactly the same .After the cmc didnt seem to make a difference I decided to pull the trans and install a washer behind the pivot ball .It didn't make a huge difference as I only put one washer behind the pivot ball however it did seem to fix my issue I will know better today after I drive the car which I did not do last night other than in my driveway .I will let you guys know how it went tonight .
Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #15
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comish71 View Post
Thanks for the response guys. I do have a stock cmc in my 94 eg. I will place the shim under the pivot ball. I just wasn't sure about the shim in a twin disc as there was no specific mention of twin disc clutches in the thread for correcting proper clutch geometry.

Do the exedy twin discs need a pedal stop as well? I didn't see it in the instructions for it.
I think that link I posted to Honda Tech I thought I read the Exedy did not need a stop but I would go by the directions that came with it or try to call or e mail Exedy to be certain .
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Adm_rsx
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Well I just installed the 99-00 cmc and it made no difference at all .Also I measured it in every possible way and it is the same length , width . ect... so for those who said it was bigger with more adjustment its not .It does look to be better quality but it works exactly the same .After the cmc didnt seem to make a difference I decided to pull the trans and install a washer behind the pivot ball .It didn't make a huge difference as I only put one washer behind the pivot ball however it did seem to fix my issue I will know better today after I drive the car which I did not do last night other than in my driveway .I will let you guys know how it went tonight .
Mark let me know a little about that spacing the pivot ball thing. I may have to do that soon.
Adm_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
yzfr6avid
K20a.org Basic User

Where do you guys get this info on clutches? LMAO
Nikos can we get a sticky going on about proper twin plate clutch set up?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
vdubkilla
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr6avid View Post
Why don't you enlighten us or anyone for that matter as I have have been having issues .Today I still did not drive the car other than in garage / driveway and its better and very driveable but it still releases lower than desired / its probably with in one inch of the floor .I stuck my head under dash to see how far the cmc traveled while the clutch was depressed all the way to the floor and there is probably at least an inch of travel left in the cmc .Christ ! Already tomorrow I am gonna have my welder tack two 8 mm nuts on a cmc bracket that hooks to the pedal so I can get more adjustment out of it to push the cmc further .Currently the bracket is only threaded on to cmc about three turns so I am gonna weld the nuts on it if that dont work than only thing left is replacing the slave cyl . I am certainly open to suggestions or if you have had similar issues or any input on this as I have a boosted k and I have had the transmission out three times since August .Ever tried to pull the trans on a boosted k haha its a bitch at least 8-10 hour start to finish for me at least
Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #19
comish71

Quote:
I think that link I posted to Honda Tech I thought I read the Exedy did not need a stop but I would go by the directions that came with it or try to call or e mail Exedy to be certain .
I called them and left a few messages on their tech line but no answer yet! I am about ready to place the shim on the pivot ball and get the tranny in prob tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how that goes. I wish there were more hours in the day!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #20
comish71

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr6avid View Post
The basic info on the shim is in a sticky in the transmission section (Correcting improper clutch geometry)