Prelude K24!! - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
McCoy
trial user

Default Prelude K24!!

I always wondered about this swap and why no one has done it.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
schumacher916
Banned

Default Re: Prelude K24!!

Hasport is just pure awesomeness!
schumacher916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Orthow
Lifetime Member

I'm pretty sure this is a local car.. Sweet!

Nice swap either way
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
McCoy
trial user

There is a video of a K24 Prelude messing with a turbo S2k that is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1VHyXNMiA
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
eddsi
Lifetime Member

Nice vid.
eddsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
sirtifiedacc
K20a.org Master User

There was 1 guy on hondatech who K swapped his bb6.. it looked really good:

He swapped it WAY before the Hasport mounts were out...Too bad..it got totalled like 3 years ago.
sirtifiedacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
McCoy
trial user

It's so weird that the Prelude chassis hasn't really been done. Oh yeah, I know Mortimer Schnerd did one in the beautiful Schroon Lake resort town three years ago and a smattering of hippies did one in the Dutch East Indies, but comparatively speaking no one has done it. What I mean is no one has documented and made the build official complete with numbers and updates. The magazine article that I posted could be considered by some to make it "official" .... however not by my high standards.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
sirtifiedacc
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
It's so weird that the Prelude chassis hasn't really been done. Oh yeah, I know Mortimer Schnerd did one in the beautiful Schroon Lake resort town three years ago and a smattering of hippies did one in the Dutch East Indies, but comparatively speaking no one has done it. What I mean is no one has documented and made the build official complete with numbers and updates. The magazine article that I posted could be considered by some to make it "official" .... however not by my high standards.
Lol I think the reason why is because atleast with the BB6...they needed a minimum of a V6 to get them moving lol..If a line of honda ever needed a V6 option... it was the prelude. But I agree. I'd like to see some posted. The preludes were always sporty, but the H22a1/a4s weren't ballsy enough for that chassis.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Topo Gigio
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a local car.. Sweet!

Nice swap either way
Yeah Im pretty sure i saw that exact car at shannonville the last time I was there.

It cant be much more difficult than a civic/integra swap and those cars weigh about 60kg more than an integra so weight isnt really a factor since you could get it down to 1000kg fairly easily. Duno why people say its such a heavy car but i guess every other car is a pig when you compare it the an ef/eg civic...

edit - great post btw its nice to see love for the bb4
Topo Gigio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
K20egcw
K20a.org Master User

Nice! It looks like you can use a stock header as well, or is that a custom header?
Bottle fed K20A swapped 93 hatch
K20egcw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
McCoy
trial user

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20egcw View Post
Nice! It looks like you can use a stock header as well, or is that a custom header?
I think they made a custom header because they want to keep the stock power steerin. This also placed the motor farther forward than I would and they had to tilt it so the head was leaning a little to clear the stock hood. I would pull the power steering and ABS and place the motor where it should be inregards to the axle angles and legnths. I learned to drive in a '64 Galaxie 500 XL that had no power steering and a big block 390FE motor (850lbs) and thought nothing of it. I guess the men of today - even though they go to the gym 7 days a week - have the arm strength of "Chatty Cathy". I think it would be a great street car. Most guys that do a K-swapped chassis are out to set new drag records. I like to arrive quickly and powerfully to the Ho' House. Priorities right? Oh yeah .... to place the engine where it is the most advantageous would allow for a swap header. Big bay!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
K20egcw
K20a.org Master User

I agree, an old school car without power steering makes the a Honda with any swap feel like cake walk! I learned how to drive with a 77' caprice classic equipped with a 350 and no PS. Made me a man I guess cause a lot of these kids now days think driving a swapped civic without PS is hard lol. I think the hardest car I've driven was a 69' Impala on 22's with no PS, now that was a little rough! You had to be moving to turn in that hoe, but it was worth it when you pulled up to the Ho' House

Anyways, yeah I think they should redo that swap and have it sitting properly and remove the PS. That way they dont ever run into axles issues and they could possibly use a nice swap header.
Bottle fed K20A swapped 93 hatch
K20egcw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Chef Andre
K20a.org Master User

There's a local guy doing this swap. I would want to see some vids since preludes are so heavy.
Chef Andre is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
McCoy
trial user

If there is any way you can have him register here and start a build thread we would love to follow the progress!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
becoming
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtifiedacc View Post
Lol I think the reason why is because atleast with the BB6...they needed a minimum of a V6 to get them moving lol..If a line of honda ever needed a V6 option... it was the prelude. But I agree. I'd like to see some posted. The preludes were always sporty, but the H22a1/a4s weren't ballsy enough for that chassis.
^^^i'm with Sirtifiedacc....If I was gonna do a swap in a Prelude it would have to be a CL-S engine just because that's what it always needed all along.
becoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
McCoy
trial user

That motor would present some more difficulties I think - mounts & ECU. The K series motors weigh less than the Preludes so some weight would come off just from the swap. Taking off PS/cruz control/ABS would save more weight. K series + K-Pro would give the Prelude all the power that a J could if built right and if your removed the parts I just listed making a power to weight ratio comparable to just putting a J swap in. Putting in a J motor would just be putting more weight on that front end/suspension. That is really not a big step forward. I would not build this car to race but rather to be a fast street car. I guess you could do the "Dry Ice/sweaty man/tar removal" and gut the interior route to look like a racer tho' if you wanted to.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #17
becoming
Lifetime Member

Yea, you could definately get more power from a K than the J because of the aftermarket support, and would have plenty of room to do a generous sized turbo, but I do like the fact of filling the engine bay with a J and have PLENTY of TQ...I wouldn't complain with either engine as long as it was done right.
becoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
sirtifiedacc
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
That motor would present some more difficulties I think - mounts & ECU. The K series motors weigh less than the Preludes so some weight would come off just from the swap. Taking off PS/cruz control/ABS would save more weight. K series + K-Pro would give the Prelude all the power that a J could if built right and if your removed the parts I just listed making a power to weight ratio comparable to just putting a J swap in. Putting in a J motor would just be putting more weight on that front end/suspension. That is really not a big step forward. I would not build this car to race but rather to be a fast street car. I guess you could do the "Dry Ice/sweaty man/tar removal" and gut the interior route to look like a racer tho' if you wanted to.
Granted it was a C series V6.. [C27 i believe] the 95-97 accords came equipped with v6s..and if you were lucky, you could actually find them in a 5 speed. I'm sure the design of the C series is nothing Like the J series, but the accord and prelude chassis are extremely similar...pretty comparable to the EG/DC (in regards to the engine bay)... not sure how relevant that is to this thread lol...but just some tidbits.

The funny part was back in the day I had my 94 jdm h22a accord sedan..and another riced out accord sedan pulled up next to me and we ran it..and he hung with me pretty well.. and he told me his was the v6 5spd.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
McCoy
trial user

x2. I have not really followed the progression/generations of 6 cylinder motors hence the C+J confusion on my part. I am not really sure of the electrical management systems that one can employ with the 6 cylinder series' either. Maybe I talked out of turn. Pardon my dust/I'm still under construction.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
antoniii
K20a.org Basic User

thats neat it looks cleann also
antoniii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message