DC5 type-r vs FD2 type-r what is the difference? - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
GermanEG

Default DC5 type-r vs FD2 type-r what is the difference?

Hi look what times I've just found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OrPxx4FYg

what is the difference between the two motors? and what I should change so that my K20A DC5 as running?

greets daniel
GermanEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
GermanEG

Default Re: DC5 type-r vs FD2 type-r what is the difference?

i have found something

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/FD2K20AR/index.html
GermanEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
august77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanEG View Post

what is the difference between the two motors? and what I should change so that my K20A DC5 as running?

greets daniel
Overall, engine is still the same. Only differences are:
1. FD2R has a higher compression ratio 11.7:1
2. Smoother and straighter IM
3. Different cam design (If i am not wrong)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
omiehomie
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by august77 View Post
Overall, engine is still the same. Only differences are:
1. FD2R has a higher compression ratio 11.7:1
2. Smoother and straighter IM
3. Different cam design (If i am not wrong)
can anyone verify this? i thought there was also a better header + more mild port + polish job on the new CTR motor?
omiehomie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

The difference in weight between the two cars is probably the biggest factor in off the line performance.

The RSX is a bloated pig of a two door...it weighs about 500 lbs more than the 01-05 civic dx 4 door. I am not sure what the JDM type R civic weighs...also not sure if it has all the extra options (sunroof, navigation, etc) that weigh it down.

The recaro seats in the FD2 probably results in close to 100 lb weight savings (if front and rear).
BlackNDecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Mr. KDes
P.M.W./A.W.S.

BlackNDecker

I believe the OP was referring to both cars engine wise, not in regards to weight proportion, etc.

Just out of curiousity, are these engines even obtainable yet?
It LIVEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!
Mr. KDes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
august77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNDecker View Post
The difference in weight between the two cars is probably the biggest factor in off the line performance.

The RSX is a bloated pig of a two door...it weighs about 500 lbs more than the 01-05 civic dx 4 door. I am not sure what the JDM type R civic weighs...also not sure if it has all the extra options (sunroof, navigation, etc) that weigh it down.

The recaro seats in the FD2 probably results in close to 100 lb weight savings (if front and rear).
JDM Civic Type R weights about 1270Kg.. and does not come with the extra option.

When you ordered the car, it came in without the standard items like radio, speakers and carmats. All of them are optional parts.

To reduce the weight, even the front and rear windscreen are made of a single layer glass.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
august77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK VTi View Post
BlackNDecker

I believe the OP was referring to both cars engine wise, not in regards to weight proportion, etc.

Just out of curiousity, are these engines even obtainable yet?
I believe both engine can be ordered from Japan.. but mind you, their price are on the high side.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
seek167
K20a.org Master User

gearing too the ctr has the 5.0 fd as the itr has the 4.7

shirts are here
valve stems are here
if you need any new or used parts hit me i will try to beat any bodys price even if i dont make money just so i can gain a customer for life
seek167 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK VTi View Post
BlackNDecker

I was answering his second, somewhat confusing question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanEG
what I should change so that my K20A DC5 as running?
Just saying that weight reduction will do more to approximate the JDM CTR performance than throwing $$$ at the engine.
BlackNDecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #11
tokiwado

The production JDM CTR that is sold all over asia comes standard with all the luxury accessories like radio etc and proper shatter-free front glass wind shield. The weight betweet between this CTR and ITR is very close, +-30kg so weight is not such a big deal. the additional 5 HP comes from the better ported head, more aggressive rbb intake manifold, higher compression but same cams.

the only big difference is the 5.1 final drive on the ctr. The ITR only has 4.74. so the ctr will always pull away during acceleration. its a common mod over here to fit 5.1 fd on the ITR. with this, its not uncommon for a relatively stock engine ITR to keep in pace with the ctr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanEG View Post

greets daniel
tokiwado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
august77

NO.. you got some of the information wrong.

JDM CTR is only sold in Japan.. the only country which sells them officially is Malaysia (but it took them some time to get approval from Honda Japan). The rest of the countries gets them thru PI.

Initially when you get the cars thru PI, there is no radio or speakers in the car. Only luxury you get is the power windows.

Additional 5HP comes from ported head (using methods found only on NSX), better IM (RRC), Higher compression (11.7) and more aggressive cams (FD2R cams profile are more aggressive than DC5R or CL7R).

Final drive part.. u r right. FD2R has a FD ratio of 5.1 which means better acceleration. The gears found on the FD2R are closer (close-ratio). 1-3 higher ratio by 3% and 4-6 1% lower if u compare it with the DC5R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokiwado View Post
The production JDM CTR that is sold all over asia comes standard with all the luxury accessories like radio etc and proper shatter-free front glass wind shield. The weight betweet between this CTR and ITR is very close, +-30kg so weight is not such a big deal. the additional 5 HP comes from the better ported head, more aggressive rbb intake manifold, higher compression but same cams.

the only big difference is the 5.1 final drive on the ctr. The ITR only has 4.74. so the ctr will always pull away during acceleration. its a common mod over here to fit 5.1 fd on the ITR. with this, its not uncommon for a relatively stock engine ITR to keep in pace with the ctr.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
tokiwado

The JDM FD2R is also sold officially through the distributor in Singapore with all the normal bells and whistles as standard (including radio) and certainly not with a plexi front or back windscreens! Of course the local PIs are still able to get their hands on the car. Most JDM cars that are imported through the PIs don't come with the sound systems anyway, presumably to cut cost. I may be wrong on the cams but the intake manifold definitely plays a part. And yes, apart from the FD, there is also some difference in ratio between the gears. Not forgetting the significantly improved body stiffness. All these add up for a faster car around the track as compared to the DC5r, this I agree.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
august77

where are you from? *btw, this is just a normal discussion.. no quarrels here. So Mods do not have to worry* ;)

http://www.honda.com.sg/cars/showroom.htm... FD2R was never sold officially here. I noe, coz I have lots of frens and noe a few tuners in Sg.

The only Type R officially available in Sg (thru Kah Motor) is the Euro Civic Type R (FN2), which is underpowered.

Also.. not all new cars coming in thru PI come bare, only a few sports model like Evo, Subaru and Type Rs (FD2R). And I did not mention that the windscreens are made of plexi (front and back), it's just that they are made of a thinner glass if u compare the part number of the windscreen and the sounds it made when u knock on it. Try doing it on a normal FD and FD2R (front might be the same, rear I am 100% sure they are different.

Quote:
The JDM FD2R is also sold officially through the distributor in Singapore with all the normal bells and whistles as standard (including radio) and certainly not with a plexi front or back windscreens! Of course the local PIs are still able to get their hands on the car. Most JDM cars that are imported through the PIs don't come with the sound systems anyway, presumably to cut cost. I may be wrong on the cams but the intake manifold definitely plays a part. And yes, apart from the FD, there is also some difference in ratio between the gears. Not forgetting the significantly improved body stiffness. All these add up for a faster car around the track as compared to the DC5r, this I agree.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
tokiwado

Ok, you are right then. :} Hey, want to know your feedback about the A2 cams. How much power are you pulling with the setup in your profile? What's your rev limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by august77 View Post
where are you from? *btw, this is just a normal discussion.. no quarrels here. So Mods do not have to worry* ;)

http://www.honda.com.sg/cars/showroom.htm... FD2R was never sold officially here. I noe, coz I have lots of frens and noe a few tuners in Sg.

The only Type R officially available in Sg (thru Kah Motor) is the Euro Civic Type R (FN2), which is underpowered.

Also.. not all new cars coming in thru PI come bare, only a few sports model like Evo, Subaru and Type Rs (FD2R). And I did not mention that the windscreens are made of plexi (front and back), it's just that they are made of a thinner glass if u compare the part number of the windscreen and the sounds it made when u knock on it. Try doing it on a normal FD and FD2R (front might be the same, rear I am 100% sure they are different.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
august77

Quote:
Ok, you are right then. :} Hey, want to know your feedback about the A2 cams. How much power are you pulling with the setup in your profile? What's your rev limit?
Have not installed the cams yet... Installation will be next week along with other parts which I have in hand and have to wait my Tuner flies in to do the tuning in mid march.

Will post the result online once everything is done.