K20A vs K20A2 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
rcaca0

Default K20A vs K20A2

Hello,

I am trying to decided on a motor either a K20A or a K20A2. Based on what I have found, the K20A has more hp due to a higher compression ratio (11.5:1 vs 11:1). I am planning on installing this motor in a civic but I want to make sure it's still a daily driver. I would like to be able to purchase parts for it (ie starters, alternators, etc) from a local store if needed but I don't know if on the K20A you can only purchase parts from Japan and if its has a totally different set up than a K20A2. So my question is, do they make a K20A manual in English that i can purchase or can I just purchase a K20A2 manual? Can I use K20A2 parts on it or do I need to special order then? I would like to do some engine modifications but I would like to have a reference manual before I begin.

Thanks,
R
rcaca0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
dc5con
K20a.org Basic User

Default Re: K20A vs K20A2

All part are the same for both engines
dc5con is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
rcaca0

So if both engines are the same, can I purchase a service manual for the K20A2 and figure out how to put in an A/C unit, take out the cam, etc on a K20A? Also if they have the same parts how is the K20A getting a higher compression ratio? I move around a lot and I imagine I will need to do all of the maintenance on this engine so I want to make sure I purchase one that I can work on.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
jrbreaker85
Houston area

you want my honest opinion , just get a k20z3 swap. it has 20 less hp, but basically has the same transmission. you can upgrade the cams and have more hp and still pay less than buying a k20a swap. jdm type r swaps honestly to me are not worth paying the extra money.
jrbreaker85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
6spd_EK
Lifetime Member

Different cams, intake manifold, header, pistons. The newer fd2 & fn2 have better cylinder head. Everything else is pretty much the same
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
brakaT
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbreaker85 View Post
you want my honest opinion , just get a k20z3 swap. it has 20 less hp, but basically has the same transmission. you can upgrade the cams and have more hp and still pay less than buying a k20a swap. jdm type r swaps honestly to me are not worth paying the extra money.
brakaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
rcaca0

I haven't thought about the K20z3 motor. On this motor do I need to worry about an electronic throttle? I took a quick look on line and couldn't find a place that sells the complete kit (engine, tranny, subframe, etc). I haven't looked on ebay but I am trying to purchase all of the components from one place so I don't have to worry about mixing up the parts that don't work.

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
w00t692
K20a.org Master User

no, just bolt on whatever throttlebody you want. The pedal assembly, throttle body and ecu type you have control whether you need dbw throttle or not.

The k20z3 isn't going to end up making 20 less horsepower than a k20a with the same mods done to both though. so don't go into this swap thinking the k20z3 is some terrible k series that sucks.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message