Problems with the TPS sensor? (K-Tuned) - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Lambo123
The Professional

Default Problems with the TPS sensor? (K-Tuned)

Soooo i'm driving down the street normally and all of a sudden the car jerks for like a split second. Immediately after the check engine light goes on. Now every time i try to go over 4k rpm it just bounces off the 4k line (sounds like a 2-step). Unfortunately i don't have access to a laptop and don't know when i will so i figured i'd come on here and ask you guys what you think. Btw, ever since i installed the sensor the check engine light has come on a couple times intermittently then turned off. And yes t has been manually calibrated correctly.

Or i'm wondering if it could be something else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Clipsejr
K20a.org Advanced User

Default Re: Problems with the TPS sensor? (K-Tuned)

Sounds like the ecu went into limp mode. I had this issue before and it ended up being my spool valve assembly(vtec sensor on the back of the head). Best option though is to see what code it's throwing with a scanner if no laptop.
Clipsejr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Lambo123
The Professional

Interesting. Yup as soon as i can get to a scanner or laptop i'll be able to truly diagnose it. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
timot_one
Tim doesn't give a shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipsejr View Post
Sounds like the ecu went into limp mode. I had this issue before and it ended up being my spool valve assembly(vtec sensor on the back of the head). Best option though is to see what code it's throwing with a scanner if no laptop.
I had the exact same symptoms a few years back. I replaced the VTEC solenoid on the back of the head an it cleared it up.

I have had a spotty TPS before and it didn't cause problems like you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Lee View Post
I would totally eat her ass
timot_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Clipsejr
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timot_one View Post
I had the exact same symptoms a few years back. I replaced the VTEC solenoid on the back of the head an it cleared it up.

I have had a spotty TPS before and it didn't cause problems like you described.
Yeah this is what made me go out and buy a cheap scanner to keep in my car. Lambo if you get around to scanning it here is the code I was throwing: P1259
Clipsejr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Lambo123
The Professional

Thanks guys! Time to get a new vtec solenoid. Anyone know the roundabout cost?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
CAFROG
K20a.org Master User

VTEC spool assembly (back of the head) is about $140-145 online ($190-195 at dealership). It's a few parts and o-ring(s) all together.

Just for info....VTEC oil Pressure is about $90-95 ($125 at dealership)

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96809
CAFROG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Lambo123
The Professional

OK, so update. The code is "Daughter Board Communication Error (Battery voltage low when cranking)". Now that i think of it, after we installed the k-tuned TPS i did get a check engine light but it kinda came on then went right off. I thought we had it nailed down as far as manually adjusting it but maybe not? Now at WOT it's saying 105%. Not sure if that would cause a problem or not. A lot of people were saying the battery could be the issue but i have no problem starting the car...however they did say the problem went away. Others were saying bad grounds. I'm all ears guys...

Cliffs on problem:

1. Will drive around for a few minutes.
2. Car will hesitate for a split second and the CEL comes on for a split second
3. A few minutes later the CEL comes on permanently and i can't rev past 4k rpm.
4. I also feel like i'm getting HORRIBLE gas mileage which is most likely k-pro going into limp mode.

Last edited by Lambo123; 04-03-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Lambo123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
gotslicks
K20a.org Basic User

Kpro? Did you calibrate tps with or without kpro?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
katman
Lifetime Member

got another TPS you can try? oem tps perhaps?

personally, I've had two v2 ktuned tps go bad on me in the last year.
same throttle chugging symptoms as you're describing. I even have a video of it going out on me mid-race lol.
I've gone back to their trusty and super reliable v1 tps that i've kept as a backup, and its still working strong like bull, for the few years I've had it.

I'm sure they'll warranty your TPS if you find it is faulty, hit up Mike!
-----------------------
FF SQUAD | FFS TechNet | FFS Videos

Last edited by katman; 04-03-2013 at 05:54 PM..
katman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
Mike@K-Tuned
K20A.org Sponsor

The "daughter board communication error" is likely the problem.
When a hard CEL comes up the ecu goes into to limp mode.
This limits revs to 4K only.
I have fixed this CEL on 2 cars in the last couple years. One car needed thicker cable running to the battery that was relocated to the trunk. The other car had an incorrectly wired charge harness. Both issues caused low battery voltage which tripped the code.

We have had very few failures with our V2 TPS sensors.
However, not everything is perfect.
If you are able to diagnose the TPS as an issue please LMK.
We have a warranty if needed.

When setting the TPS focus on the closed value more so than the WOT value.
Different throttle cables and brackets plus how they are adjusted can change the full open value a little bit.

Keep me posted on this.

Email: mike@k-tuned.com

My Vouch Thread: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54719
Swap Packages: http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/Swap-Packages_c_42.html

Last edited by Mike@K-Tuned; 04-04-2013 at 05:23 AM..
Mike@K-Tuned is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
shimakid12

Daughter board communication error is related to the kpro seeing a low battery voltage reading. What size is your battery, and is it in the stock location? If relocated or using a small light weight battery, like an odyssey for example, it may not have enough juice to keep the system above 14ish volts constantly while running. Also, a bad alternator could cause this code to be thrown.

I had this issue with the car I'm building. I was trying to run a lightweight battery and it just wasn't strong enough. Changed it out for a parts store replacement battery and so far so good.

Here's what Hondata has to say about it:

http://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4877

Hope you get it fixed.
shimakid12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Lambo123
The Professional

The battery is about a year old. It's a diehard battery and the cables going on it are thick enough. Keep in mind i drive this car EVERY day. Now like i said it wasn't until right after we installed it then fine tuned the tps that the check engine light kicked on then went off. The grounds are fine. Basically my point is i wasn't having any issues until i installed the tps sensor. The only reason i installed it was because my old oem tps was only reading 88% at WOT so i just decided to replace it but the car ran perfectly fine. I actually do have a cheap CMS ebay tps sensor i'm going to try and see if it works. I just need to get a hold of a multimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotslicks View Post
Kpro? Did you calibrate tps with or without kpro?
Without K-Pro.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
shimakid12

I hear you. It is odd, but it could possibly be a coincidence. The daughter board error should only come on if the voltage has dropped below a certain threshold either while starting or running. If the battery is fine, the alternator could be on it's way out. Throwing this code, because of low voltage, will put the car in limp mode and make it run how you have described.

Your oem TPS reading 88% wide open may have not been an issue with the TPS. Did you try to rescale the oem TPS before swapping it out? If the closed throttle voltage read .5ish volts, and kpro is reading 0% TPS off the throttle, then it may be the throttle cable/bracket/ cable to peddle tightness that wasn't allowing it to go all the way up to 100% with the peddle floored. This is something I've seen a ton of times where full throttle just will not open the throttle body all the way due to cable configurations, thus keeping the TPS from seeing 100%. I would maybe try putting the OEM tps back on and re-calibrating it.

Last edited by shimakid12; 04-04-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Lambo123
The Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimakid12 View Post
I hear you. It is odd, but it could possibly be a coincidence. The daughter board error should only come on if the voltage has dropped below a certain threshold either while starting or running. If the battery is fine, the alternator could be on it's way out. Throwing this code, because of low voltage, will put the car in limp mode and make it run how you have described.

Your oem TPS reading 88% wide open may have not been an issue with the TPS. Did you try to rescale the oem TPS before swapping it out? If the closed throttle voltage read .5ish volts, and kpro is reading 0% TPS off the throttle, then it may be the throttle cable/bracket/ cable to peddle tightness that wasn't allowing it to go all the way up to 100% with the peddle floored. This is something I've seen a ton of times where full throttle just will not open the throttle body all the way due to cable configurations, thus keeping the TPS from seeing 100%. I would maybe try putting the OEM tps back on and re-calibrating it.
Trust me i looked everywhere for the original tps but couldn't find it anywhere. I think it accidentally got thrown away. Boy do i wish i had it now. I believe my tuner tried re-calibrating it when the car was on the dyno but it was on it's way out plain and simple. So right now here's what it does:

1. If i start the car, drive around, and keep it under for 4k rpm's the CEL will never come on. It will however jerk/hesitate for like a second every few minutes.

2. If i DO go over 4k rpm's the car will do the same thing (jerk/hesitate every few minutes for a second) then the CEL will permanently come on.

I'm almost positive it's the TPS sensor at this point. The battery, grounds, vtec solenoid, vtc actuator, etc etc etc...i never had problems with any of these. Not until we installed the TPS. I have a cheap CMS ebay tps sensor and i'm gonna install that for now as soon as i get bolts that will fit since i lost the original tps bolts. I'll keep everyone updated. I'm real curious to open up the K-Tuned unit and see what it looks like inside...
Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
crip
Lifetime Member

dont open it, let them warranty it out if its at fault. grab you a cheap harbor freight multi meter and throw the cms tps on. it will work good enough to let you know if its a tps issues.
SOLD TO:iboyma, donsep3, honda_12v, allmotorbubble, Nitro1018, ZAKE, alex_KS, Db2K, shattamac, spoonhacked, richir587, datdude814, FlacoNAEG, michalo187, youhan23, valerio123, 7800rpmlaunch, screech, miaep3, 1320whtrex, asnstyle22, rvf35nc, sictegboi3, 828DC5. BOUGHTFROM: josh2man, kid, ek9-10, stRoKeD, xbigpitax, ohsnapzfingcu, mountainK, ctechone01, jpax, kadamski5140, i-vtec-eg, mo_spec, chefandre, sik20, cjm, mlotz29, yeven_stas, REALDEAL, KDub-ZeroEG, jchetty, 2.4L ef, nine2fivek20, blankyjet TRADED WITH: Acurazor, rsxmatt1985 VOUCHES: josolanes, sik20, flipsx3, noobiemcnooberson, BMFC
crip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
shimakid12

It does sound like it could very well be a TPS issue. When you take it over 4k and the CEL comes on, are you able to check and see what CEL you're throwing? Is it still the daughter board connection error? If so, that's a very odd CEL to be thrown by a faulty TPS.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong in any way, so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to better understand your issue and help if at all possible, since I'm familiar with the daughter board error. The way you've described your situation does sound as though it could be the TPS though.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Lambo123
The Professional

Yeah it's still the "daughter board communication error - low voltage battery when cranking". I'm gonna check the grounds one more time then buy a new battery. I'm wondering if i can buy a battery and then just return it? If the battery ends up not being the issue i mean. Either way this is really pissing me off. I tried installing the CMS ebay tps sensor and the thing literally just completely fell apart as soon as i tried to install it. The back plastic piece just fell off along with the white plastic piece inside. Meh. Ebay. I kinda expected it.

Oh and Shima...you're absolutely right. I should've just left the TPS the way it was. The car was running perfectly fine. I'm just overly paranoid when it comes to maintenance issues.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
Lambo123
The Professional

Just bought a multimeter. It's reading 12.9 volts with the car off and 14.4-5 volts with the car on. (I had just started it and it was idling low, around 750 rpm) If that means anything.

Last edited by Lambo123; 04-06-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Lambo123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
crip
Lifetime Member

well thats normal/good voltage. need you a different tps to test with.
SOLD TO:iboyma, donsep3, honda_12v, allmotorbubble, Nitro1018, ZAKE, alex_KS, Db2K, shattamac, spoonhacked, richir587, datdude814, FlacoNAEG, michalo187, youhan23, valerio123, 7800rpmlaunch, screech, miaep3, 1320whtrex, asnstyle22, rvf35nc, sictegboi3, 828DC5. BOUGHTFROM: josh2man, kid, ek9-10, stRoKeD, xbigpitax, ohsnapzfingcu, mountainK, ctechone01, jpax, kadamski5140, i-vtec-eg, mo_spec, chefandre, sik20, cjm, mlotz29, yeven_stas, REALDEAL, KDub-ZeroEG, jchetty, 2.4L ef, nine2fivek20, blankyjet TRADED WITH: Acurazor, rsxmatt1985 VOUCHES: josolanes, sik20, flipsx3, noobiemcnooberson, BMFC
crip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message