Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

We get bored in Montana and build shit... My Drag EK Build

13K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  gtimportfanatic 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, here's how I bought her in her busted, flooded, filled with hooker boots and 52 empty packs of camel lights glory. I bought this hatch in 2008 and literally saved it from being crushed. I got it home from Washington (where I am originally from) and got laid off right after so the K swap got put on hold. It was in single cam form until about a year ago - ran the K24 Frank on motor for about 400 miles and then decided I wanted more. It was quick, but it wasn't "Holy fucking shit" fast, which is what I wanted. I wanted to be scared to drive the thing, so we decided to make it a quicker street car, then as we were turboing it, I threw in the towell and decided it was going to become a full on drag car...

This is mostly going to be pictures, because I dont have all the time in the world to type it out.

Engine is a K24 Frank built by Kaizenspeed, Manifold, IC, IC piping, Exhaust, all built by a close friend here in Billings. Turbo is a Precision 6266 CEA. Front/Rear wheels by Exospeed, IM is Golden Eagle, Have (yet to wire up) AEM Series 2 to be tuned on. All of the body work was done by myself (Paint by local Neibauer Autobody). JW Fab Coil pack cover/traction bar, 10 point NHRA 8.50 cert cage.

This is a photographic transition of my car from COMPLETELY stock to where it sits today. All I really have left is to do some wiring for the AEM to get it running. Over the course of this winter I plan on doing some transmission/drivetrain upgrades. We'll see what she puts down on C16 come spring (no local ethanol suppliers so it really isn't cost effective at this point).

Enjoy.

Day I bought it:

(Legit Type X's)

And then shit started getting legit....

(not my front, front for friend's EG) But you can see my engine wrapped up in the corner and the junk block I had (which was brand new, but a K24Z2 out of an 08 accord - which was a no-go).

This is the counterfeit Kpro I was sold prior to the press release they existed (Marc Heera... I will find you, and when I do, you better pray to the lord you dont end up in ICU)

AND THEN IT GOT OUT OF HAND...

Hmmm, whats this for?

My Buddy bought Reid's old Trailer so I brought it back to MT when I was visiting the in-laws in Spokane - That white steed right there has 360,600 Miles on her and runs like a top (Its my work truck, I put about 5K miles/month on it. 7.3's FTMFW!)

Welp, that pretty much sums it up until now. Hope you enjoyed. I've poured a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money into this build and hopefully she moves out alright. I need to give a ton of credit it to Jonathan Wiome at JW FAB, Kye Olson at 406 Fab Lab, the Crew at Kaizenspeed, Speedfactory for helping me along the way, and my loving wife (and now 9 month old son) for putting up with me spending so much time on this thing. It really has been a labor of love and to showcase mine and my friends' work almost means more to me than ever going fast. You cannot replace memories with good friends while building a project like this.

In Loving Memory of Brandon "BA" Anderson - This one is for you. You were there the day I rolled this car off the trailer when I brought it home and the day I cracked open the first K24. I wish you were still here to see this come together the way it has. Thanks for riding shotgun man.

See less See more
#3 ·
nice, love that GE manifold

#9 ·
Thanks for the positive comments guys! Makes all the time and effort feel more worth it. I can't wait to get this thing out on the track next spring. I've taken somewhat of a break from it to spend time with my Fiancee and son (and because I've been slammed at work - always work out of state).

I just recieved a job offer making substantially more money, but it would mean I'd be in ND 5 days a week. I'm awaiting an offer from my current company to decide what I am going to do. Hard decisions, but it will probably drastically effect how much seat time I get in this car. I'm one of those guys who believes work hard now, so I can enjoy life later, but at the same time I want to watch my child grow up so its a huge thing going on right now - haven't had much motivation to finish up wiring with a million other things on my mind.

I'll keep ya'll posted on what goes down... mind you, there isn't a single 1/4 mile drag strip in ND. Regardless, I refuse to sell my house in Billings, because 1, I just bought it and 2, We love it... either way, the car will get finished and see the track.

#11 ·
I'm sure there is hope for them, but I wasn't going to be the first to head down that road. I've still got the Z2 head, with the exhaust being 1 port sitting in my garage, complete - even have a powdercoated vc for it! lol. I'm sure with that stock head it would be REALLY easy to make a manifold for one to hang a turbo off it, how well it flows - I have no idea.

As far as dimensions for internals, they're pretty damn similar, but things like the oil pump (I believe) are different. The waterpump housing, waterpump, tensioner and alternator were all vastly different, but the basic block design was very similar (still same pattern to bolt to the transmission).

Anywho, its above and beyond what I was wanting to toy with.

#13 ·
yes k24z1 are def diff from the other k24z's. only have to move oil filter to accom. half shaft. i have one myself just have not finished putting it together.

is the downward TB a readily available option for G.E. manifold? cost more or just have to put a call in and wait for it?

#14 ·
yes k24z1 are def diff from the other k24z's. only have to move oil filter to accom. half shaft. i have one myself just have not finished putting it together.
is the downward TB a readily available option for G.E. manifold? cost more or just have to put a call in and wait for it?
coo man. im holding on to mine too. Someday ill start piecing it together. Be easy man. peace

#17 ·
Figured I'd post a little update.

Things have been slowly progressing. Got my remote killswitch wired in the way I want it finally.

S90 Throttle Body showed up Courtesy of Tempest Racing.

Mike @ Insane Shafts shipped the axles today.

Monday the Karcepts hubs will be pressed in the spindles with new bearings.

Still need to wire the Wideband to the Aem and build a panel for it to mount to. Need to build an adapter from the stock column to the Joe's Racing quick release I'm going to be running. Need to finish the seat mount for the Kirkey...

She's close gentlement. Hopefully by the end of April she'll fire up if all goes as planned. I've been working a TON lately and am always out of town for work (literally, I never work within 2-3 hours of where I live). That being said, I was about ready to part it out to buy an NA1 a couple weeks ago, but as close as I am I have to get it finished and make some passes in it.

I still want an NA1, its just going to have to wait a little bit longer...

#18 ·
good deal, glad to see not parting it out. would suck to put all that work in and not get to rip it down the track some, what you shooting for 9's?

#19 ·
Honestly I'll be happy if it runs consistent mid 10's and stays together.

The transmission itself is the weakest link in the entire setup.

However, it theoretically should be able to run 9's, assuming it doesn't come apart.

When we do go to the track with it, I'm going to drive it on 450 whp or so until I get used to the car. I drove it on motor, but with double+ the power its going to be an entirely different beast. We'll progressively turn it up the more comfortable I get with it.

In all honesty, I love driving, but if getting a good pass out of it means putting a friend behind the wheel that has a ton of experience driving high HP cars to fast times (I've got one in mind in particular) then I have no problem with that.

#23 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I've been at home all day patiently waiting to see if the axles from Insane Shafts show up. Tonight I'm going to pull the spindles off it to give to a buddy to press the Karcepts hubs and Bearings in so I can get that out of the way.

Who knows, maybe I'll even do some wiring on it tonight, we'll see how motivated I am.

#24 ·
Welp, these showed up yesterday!

Thanks again to Mike at Insane Shafts for the awesome service!

I've decided I'm more than likely going to get the spindles powdercoated before I have the new bearings and hubs pressed in... We'll see what the timeframe looks like to get them done.

#27 ·
Insane Shafts installed behind Karcepts "36"mm hubs. Should hold some power... which means the transmission is the weak link! Figured I'd put some fresh pads/rotors on it, even though the pads on it had maybe 500 Miles tops on them.

Waiting to get back home and install the brakes and set her back on the ground to finish up wiring. Time's runnin' thin now!

#28 ·
Got the "last" of it in the mail.

Tunerview RD1 is en route as are a bunch of little things I needed like the vacuum line fittings, thermal tb gasket, TB blockoff plates, "off" decal for the killswitch, front camber kit, open ended lugnuts and who knows what else I ordered.

Looking forward to getting this thing finalized in the coming weeks and getting her on the dyno!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.