Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

EF pulley setup?

7K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  tony4380 
#1 ·
I'm looking for info regarding the cleanest Pulley setup that will clear the EF siR style hood, PS and AC obviously arent being used, I have heard about a EP3 pulley setup?, and a AEM alternator pulley 3 pulley setup?, I'm looking for the most simple way to do this....I'm just about to drop the motor in the car now and just kinda sorting out some things, also what parts do I remove from the motor that are not needed for the pulley setups

#2 ·
I run the 3 pulley setup... You need a larger alternator pulley from aem, and a shorter belt. Also, you need tension so you can use washers to shim under the alternator... using the aleternator as the tensioner:up: Works great!

Ryan

#3 ·
Cool so you havnt had an issue with the belt rubbing being so close to itself and all??....what RPM have you ran your motor up to so far with this setup??

does anybody know where to buy just the alternator pulley without PS or do you just have to break down and buy both?

#7 ·
Ok, now here is a question for those running the 3-pulley setup...

Are you comfortable with the fact that with the setup in place and tensioned, you can easily rotate the water pump by hand? Are you confident that you are not getting any belt slippage under load with the water pump maybe being held back by water, and therefore cuasing a possible excessive wear on the belt, or maybe not enough flow in the water while racing?

THis is the reason we went with the setup that we did on the Green CRX... it allowed the water pump to be 75% roughly wrapped with the belt, so that engagement was -positive-... wound up using the tensioner as a idler pulley, with it unable to tension, so you still have to space the alternator, but it works great...

Just a thought :)

#9 ·
FleaBiscuit said:
Also, to those using the EP3 setup... are you comfy with the proximity of the pulley to your hood? and what exactly is that distance... has anyone ever clay-checked it to see?
We did, and its very close!! I believe we can make it fit so ill let everyone know in about a week:up:

#19 ·
In a recent issue of honda tuning magazine I saw a Hasport alternator relocation kit being used on a k20 crx. I'm curious to hear some more information about this product. I contacted Hasport and they said it will be available in the future, but didnt have a release date yet......it looked great because it seemed like a simple set up and made the pulley system easily fit underneath the hood.

#25 ·
im runnin the 3 pulley setup and have been for about 7000 miles

the belt does rub a little bit, but havent had any problems. the rub will cause premature wear and i definately see replacement safely around 10k miles... but hell, whats a 15$ belt once a year and a half hour of wrench time??

hasport's alt relocation kit should be out around fall of this year. they told me that last september when i called them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.