4 Piston Racing K360 Crate Engine - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Default 4 Piston Racing K360 Crate Engine

Just curious to see if anyone is running one of 4 Piston's engines in their street car. I'm debating on pulling the trigger on one of these. I'd appreciate if anyone can provide feedback on daily driveability and reliability of this particular package for a street driven car.

Description

The 4 Piston Racing K360 Crate Engine takes a big step forward over the K340 with rigid ductile iron sleeves and a larger bore for increased displacement and another 20hp. It provides the ultimate performance and reliability for your street car. This 2.5L Naturally Aspirated engine offers a smooth idle and daily drivable street manners. When you are ready to roll into the throttle, the engine is full of low end punch and comes to life with Honda's i-VTEC system. The high flow CNC cylinder head and high lift camshaft allow this engine to accelerate its 360hp aggressively beyond 9000 rpm. Lean into the throttle on an open road and the power and sound experience is liberating. All this with the peace of mind that you are commanding a durable and reliable engine. Power is quoted conservatively on pump gasoline an popular street induction and header. Race pieces will increase output. Email Luke@team4piston.com for a shipping quote. We ship worldwide.
LA Sleeve rigid ductile iron sleeve Honda K24 engine block 99mm stroke x 89.5mm bore
Manley H-beam connecting rod
Wiseco Armor Plated 12.5:1 piston (optional 90mm and any compression up to 15:1 for more power)
ACL race bearings, ARP fastenters, exclusive 4P spec head gasket for better seal
4P Pro 163 CNC Cylinder Head with Ferrea valves, vavle springs, retainers, and locks
4P tool steel billet RR4 iVTEC camshafts
4P Ported oil pump
All new Honda timing components and hardware
Complete engine valve cover to oil pan
Meticulously assembled and supplied with detailed build sheets
Recommended Use
Daily Street Use
Auto X
Track Use
Minumum 91 Octane Pump Gas / E85 / Race Fuel
Features and Benefits
Startup Warranty - Extended Warranty Available
Ductile Iron Sleeve for improved rigitity and an increase in displacement
Armor Plated Large Bore Forged Pistons and Forged Connecting Rods
Premium Valvetrain Components for Extended Durability
Precision Machined CNC Cylinder Head Designed for use throughout the powerband
Meticulously Assembled - Supplied with full engine specifications and tolerances
Recommend periodic maintenance procedures
When you purchase a 4 Piston Racing complete engine, you aren't just buying any run-of-the-mill engine package. You are investing in a fully developed and tested engine program that is designed not only for maximum power output, but also for maximum durability. Our engines are meticulously assembled with a great deal of pride in a clean environment, using the only the finest calibrated tools and by engine builders who specialize in performance racing applications. We offer the ONLY complete engine in the industry with a startup warranty, and if installed and tuned by one of our authorized installers, these engines carry an extended warranty. Ask about our 3 month payment plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Default Re: 4 Piston Racing K360 Crate Engine

Anyone?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaiceps View Post
Anyone?
Maybe the engine is that perfect, that no questions came up . I just wonder why no one did post a result of one of those...I just checked out

without any results beside those of 4Piston itself. Maybe with more time...

Markus
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
Chance EG
K20a.org Basic User

I was doing a lot of research into 4P crate engines and those builds for my application (also a street car/daily driver).

I talked to Luke and he recommended substituting the RR4 cams for the RR3 cams, as they have reduced wear on the timing components and valvetrain. Would trade a small bit of power for some more reliability.

Also, unless you're running some super meaty tires, the K340 would be plenty for you. You're still going to be able to spin the tires going all the way up until 3rd, possibly even 4th gear.
Chance EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Yeah possibly. Aside from the pro racers who don't want to disclose any info of their build because they are competing against each other, I'm sure there are others who bought this particular package or some variant of it from 4Piston. Another reason may be the cost of having 4Piston build a motor, although I feel the cost is justified since they have been proven to make killer engines and have the knowledge and resources to properly assemble one. Oh well. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
I was doing a lot of research into 4P crate engines and those builds for my application (also a street car/daily driver).

I talked to Luke and he recommended substituting the RR4 cams for the RR3 cams, as they have reduced wear on the timing components and valvetrain. Would trade a small bit of power for some more reliability.

Also, unless you're running some super meaty tires, the K340 would be plenty for you. You're still going to be able to spin the tires going all the way up until 3rd, possibly even 4th gear.
Was your engine built by 4Piston or did you do a build with similar specs to the K360? In either case, how is the engine performing as a daily driver?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Chance EG
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Yeah possibly. Aside from the pro racers who don't want to disclose any info of their build because they are competing against each other, I'm sure there are others who bought this particular package or some variant of it from 4Piston. Another reason may be the cost of having 4Piston build a motor, although I feel the cost is justified since they have been proven to make killer engines and have the knowledge and resources to properly assemble one. Oh well. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.
You definitely get what you pay for (saying this as a good thing). Luke is always very quick to help and answer any questions too.

The only reason I ended up navigating away from using a 4P K24 engine on my build is just the overall cost of doing a K swap on my car in conjunction with everything else going on. My plans now are to just do a B swap, then save up and turbo, then save up more and swap in a built engine... It's not really my ideal setup, but doing it this way will let me stage my purchases from point A, B, C more rather than having one large upfront cost. I was considering a lot of different factors like not wasting parts that I would eventually be upgrading/replacing, etc...

If I had the funds for the complete K swap, 4P would still definitely be my first choice. Definitely.
Chance EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
redgsrguy
K20a.org Basic User

If you can't put one together yourself or have someone local you trust, 4Piston is a good option.
redgsrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
You definitely get what you pay for (saying this as a good thing). Luke is always very quick to help and answer any questions too.

The only reason I ended up navigating away from using a 4P K24 engine on my build is just the overall cost of doing a K swap on my car in conjunction with everything else going on. My plans now are to just do a B swap, then save up and turbo, then save up more and swap in a built engine... It's not really my ideal setup, but doing it this way will let me stage my purchases from point A, B, C more rather than having one large upfront cost. I was considering a lot of different factors like not wasting parts that I would eventually be upgrading/replacing, etc...

If I had the funds for the complete K swap, 4P would still definitely be my first choice. Definitely.
Thanks for the feedback on 4P. Best of luck on your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgsrguy View Post
If you can't put one together yourself or have someone local you trust, 4Piston is a good option.
Those are the 2 reasons why I am leaning towards a 4Piston built engine. I can assemble an engine no problem but to actually build one the way they do, I simply do not have the time or resources to devote. I don't feel like risking thousands of dollars on parts and having the engine blow itself up because I didn't measure something correctly. I also do not like leaving horsepower on the table because of the same reason.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
mrsideways
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on 4P. Best of luck on your build.

Those are the 2 reasons why I am leaning towards a 4Piston built engine. I can assemble an engine no problem but to actually build one the way they do, I simply do not have the time or resources to devote. I don't feel like risking thousands of dollars on parts and having the engine blow itself up because I didn't measure something correctly. I also do not like leaving horsepower on the table because of the same reason.
I've flirted with the local Machine Shops building motors for me for years. And I'm over it. They leak, they end up with large amounts of bearing material in the oil after very few miles etc etc. On Non-honda's we had one spin 3 out of 4 bearings before broken in. Few months back I said I'm done and wrote a check to 4 piston. Motor is sitting in front of my desk. Might be putting it in the car Saturday. I'll update as it goes to the dyno. Mine should be very similar to the K340 they sell (Pro156 head, Long rod K25, RR4 Cams) it just got pieced together instead of a one shot purchase.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsideways View Post
I've flirted with the local Machine Shops building motors for me for years. And I'm over it. They leak, they end up with large amounts of bearing material in the oil after very few miles etc etc. On Non-honda's we had one spin 3 out of 4 bearings before broken in. Few months back I said I'm done and wrote a check to 4 piston. Motor is sitting in front of my desk. Might be putting it in the car Saturday. I'll update as it goes to the dyno. Mine should be very similar to the K340 they sell (Pro156 head, Long rod K25, RR4 Cams) it just got pieced together instead of a one shot purchase.
Out of the handful of machine shops local to me there are only 2 that are a step above, but none of them are remotely as good as 4Piston, Drag Cartel, etc. Local shops here have the knowledge to assemble old school V8s and older import engines, but I haven't had good experience using them for the newer engines.

Your motor sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Can't wait for your dyno results. Is this going to be a daily driven motor or more for weekends/competition?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #12
mrsideways
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Out of the handful of machine shops local to me there are only 2 that are a step above, but none of them are remotely as good as 4Piston, Drag Cartel, etc. Local shops here have the knowledge to assemble old school V8s and older import engines, but I haven't had good experience using them for the newer engines.

Your motor sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Can't wait for your dyno results. Is this going to be a daily driven motor or more for weekends/competition?
Car is a non-taged trailered everywhere race car. Last motor went 500 miles in 5 years.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
mrsideways
K20a.org Basic User

Finally got it on the dyno. Made 24hp more then my old motor (13.7:1 87mm, Skunk 2 Ultra 2's on a RBB head ported to 318cfm). Keep in mind this is RWD so the numbers are lower, this pull was to 8000rpm.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 AM   #14
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Finally got it on the dyno. Made 24hp more then my old motor (13.7:1 87mm, Skunk 2 Ultra 2's on a RBB head ported to 318cfm). Keep in mind this is RWD so the numbers are lower, this pull was to 8000rpm.
Pretty nice numbers with the S2U2's Was it 93 octane or 103 (E85)?
Old 06-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
mrsideways
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
Pretty nice numbers with the S2U2's Was it 93 octane or 103 (E85)?
No the Skunk 2's were the last motor, This is essentially a K360 with RR3 cams.

This dyno was a bit of a cluster. The Flex Fuel sensor wouldn't work so the tuner just dumped the E85 on top of my 93 I had in the tank for him to tune the flex fuel sensor. It's a bit of a unknown mix. I've gotta retune it.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #16
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Would you be able to provide a torque graph?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #17
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
No the Skunk 2's were the last motor, This is essentially a K360 with RR3 cams.

This dyno was a bit of a cluster. The Flex Fuel sensor wouldn't work so the tuner just dumped the E85 on top of my 93 I had in the tank for him to tune the flex fuel sensor. It's a bit of a unknown mix. I've gotta retune it.
Ok, this means two things changes, fuel quality and cams, or? Or engine speed too?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #18
mrsideways
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Would you be able to provide a torque graph?
I will when I have it. This was the only thing e-mailed to me. Going to get the car shortly.

EDIT, I picked the car up. There will be no TQ curve. The dyno wouldn't pick up an RPM reading so it's just hp and mph. Bummer. I did overlay it with the previous motor and it picked up 25hp basically from around 6k to 8k but looked very similar to previous curve below 6k.

Last edited by mrsideways; 06-19-2017 at 10:52 AM..
mrsideways is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
mjsstanley

Any specific reason you decided to go with the RR3 cams instead of the RR4?
mjsstanley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #20
Klaiceps
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
I will when I have it. This was the only thing e-mailed to me. Going to get the car shortly.

EDIT, I picked the car up. There will be no TQ curve. The dyno wouldn't pick up an RPM reading so it's just hp and mph. Bummer. I did overlay it with the previous motor and it picked up 25hp basically from around 6k to 8k but looked very similar to previous curve below 6k.
Yeah that really is a bummer. Maybe when you decide to get a retune they'll get the dyno working properly. Thanks for sharing.