JDM form + USDM function = FD2 manga build - Page 20 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #381
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

Default Re: JDM form + USDM function = FD2 manga build

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkilo View Post
He sold/stopped the RSP plenum project if I remember correctly, but yeah, how about the stuff you were doing in the engine bay?

Thanks for the update, I was worried you had moved on to greener pastures. I only ever really come back here to see if there are updates to this build.
So I'm waiting to finish up the engine bay ducting until I finalize what hood I'm going to run. At this time it's not a priority.

As far as greener pastures, I'm focused on saving for my retirement and buying some acreage. Building this civic is the most affordable way to satisfy my need to modify something.. I wouldn't mind a clean 2.8L 911 SC though...pretty affordable and pretty fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timot_one View Post
Looks good. I was watching something about fabricating carbon fiber tubes for intake manifold runners the other day. I liked the technique because the end result produced a consistent weave pattern along the curved and tapered tube.
I would love to see the technique if you have a link to share. I have come up with a pretty easy way to build complex tubes with foam shaped around guides (usually circles I cut out of thin plastic). The guides serve as a reference line while I'm sanding so I keep the cylinder shape. The plastic is much more resistant to sanding than the foam.

Once I have the shape I'm looking for, and after multiple test fitments, then I wrap it in electrical tape. The electrical tape serves as a perfect barrier to the epoxy and carbon fiber (epoxy doesn't stick to the electrical tape). Once the epoxy sets, I pour acetone into the the end and it eats all the foam. I poke holes into the plastic along the way so the acetone can pass into each section. Once the foam is dissolved, then I simply pull out all the electrical tape and voila...a super light weight tube.

Honestly, I see all the work people put into the titanium pie cut intakes and the carbon fiber method I use seems so much easier and lighter weight.

Down the line, if I go Rotrex, I will fabricate all the induction tubing out of carbon fiber.

I really miss the forums because all this explanation is lost on social media. People don't care they just want to see a pretty picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #382
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0430steve View Post
i like push button below badge, but if you can mock it up a bit better with a fuller view and with the boot and such it would be easier to tell.
Steve, you've lived with the 8th civic interior much longer than I have...what do you think of that console piece I posted? You think it would get in the way of the shifter?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #383
timot_one
...doesn't give a shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNDecker View Post
I would love to see the technique if you have a link to share. I have come up with a pretty easy way to build complex tubes with foam shaped around guides (usually circles I cut out of thin plastic). The guides serve as a reference line while I'm sanding so I keep the cylinder shape. The plastic is much more resistant to sanding than the foam.

Once I have the shape I'm looking for, and after multiple test fitments, then I wrap it in electrical tape. The electrical tape serves as a perfect barrier to the epoxy and carbon fiber (epoxy doesn't stick to the electrical tape). Once the epoxy sets, I pour acetone into the the end and it eats all the foam. I poke holes into the plastic along the way so the acetone can pass into each section. Once the foam is dissolved, then I simply pull out all the electrical tape and voila...a super light weight tube.
This technique is a bit more involved. It uses a die and an inflatable bladder and you would need to use a cf sleeve, but the results are killer.

It's at 10:20 in this video.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #384
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

Awesome video. They make construction seem so easy anybody could do it...yet each step involves a mastery of technique.

That technique for constructing cf tubes is definitely complex. I've seen people on the fiberglass forums labor for years trying to perfect the bladder technique.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #385
Mixwell
k20a.orgy

Do you have to compensate for temp and humidity when you're making stuff out of CF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mixwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #386
0430steve
08TWFA5SC

Quote:
Steve, you've lived with the 8th civic interior much longer than I have...what do you think of that console piece I posted? You think it would get in the way of the shifter?
you talking about your addition below the radio for the tpms monitor?

probably not...but i guess it depends on the combination of shifter, knobber, and fat hands/grip. if you are running the factory shifter with longer throw, combined with a fatter knob like the mugen sphere posted AND have fat man hands and hold it a certain way, i could see how you may end up punching it....but with the design you have where it looks somewhat curved and recessed and maybe if you thread the knob down to sit a bit lower i think it would be fine. mock it up. i doubt you'll have any issues, but in an extreme set of circumstances outlined above i can see how you could potentially make contact with it.
0430steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #387
ej8eli
K20a.org Basic User

yay!!! so glad to see you back on here Brian.. this build continues to make my pants tight... ;)

I personally like the button above the badge.. but that's just my humble opinion
Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #388
timot_one
...doesn't give a shit.

Quote:
Awesome video. They make construction seem so easy anybody could do it...yet each step involves a mastery of technique.

That technique for constructing cf tubes is definitely complex. I've seen people on the fiberglass forums labor for years trying to perfect the bladder technique.

They definitely make it look a lot easier than I would assume it is. I'm sure it is great for production, but it's completely impractical for making prototype parts like you are. I liked the technique and thought it may offer some use to share.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #389
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

I'm in Japan at the moment for Tokyo Auto Salon. My favorite car from the from show was this all carbon bodied RCF GT3 was absolutely gorgeous.

Details:

I'm thinking of wrapping my dash in this carbon fiber weave🤔

Last edited by BlackNDecker; 01-13-2017 at 07:42 AM..
BlackNDecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 AM   #390
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

Went back to the Salon to grab some more pics of the details of the Lexus RCF GT3.

This is the other car with the 2x2 twill and has some minor differences compared to the car above.

Zooming in on the exhaust and huge gaping fender:

The dive planes on this car were a one piece affair:

As opposed to the other race car which used 2 different dive plans individually attached by rivets and epoxy:

A look in front of the tire showing how the diffuser feeds the wheel well:

And a look behind the tire showing how the exhaust empties into the fender:

Mysterious black areas...guessing reinforcement of some type. There are also various areas of black "scuff" marks across the two cars that I can't figure out.

A look at the fender and exhaust:

With flash:

Attachments for the fender louvers:

The ass of the two cars is slightly different:

Last edited by BlackNDecker; 01-15-2017 at 01:00 AM..
BlackNDecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #391
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

I also took some detailed pics of the carbon bodied NSX GT3 race car.
m

Interestingly the fender duct is blanked off on the race car:

Fender fastener:

The deck lid has an overhang that is not present on the street car:
Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #392
EJ2
K20a.org Basic User

That looks awesome! I'm going to have to add the Tokyo Motor Show to my Bucket list.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
EJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #393
johnkilo
K20a.org Basic User

*crosses fingers and hopes this car hasn't been sold*
Old 06-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #394
BlackNDecker
USDM > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkilo View Post
*crosses fingers and hopes this car hasn't been sold*
I can reassure you it hasn't been sold. Fortunately, I'm in a position where I won't ever need to sell it.

I am going to modify the front radiator duct soon. Then I just need to top off the fluids and get it tuned.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #395
johnkilo
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
I can reassure you it hasn't been sold. Fortunately, I'm in a position where I won't ever need to sell it.

I am going to modify the front radiator duct soon. Then I just need to top off the fluids and get it tuned.
Happy to hear