K24z7 in 2002 EP3 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 12-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
309antonios

Default K24z7 in 2002 EP3

Hey All,

I have been lurking on this forum for about 10 years. I only recently made an account a few months ago. I used a lot of information from this community to complete my first swap back in 2008 or so.

At the time I had a 2001 Civic EX (EM2) and a totaled 2002 SI that I bought off a friend. I did the rear brake conversion to disk. Swapped the seats and interior (Back and front seats) and of course swapped the motor.

I sold that car last year and I miss it. Though my favorite Civic has been the EP3. I recently bought an EP3 from Gerogia with almost 200k miles. 1 owner, meticulously maintained, all records included, but the motor is unhappy. I just got it this past week, and there is no compression in sylinder 3. Probably a valve, possibly rings. Regardless, easy work.

My initial swap in 2008 was triggered by needing a new valve cover gasket on the d17. Never replaced in 200k miles and started to leak. Replace the gasket, or swap the entire motor? The motor made more sense! Thus, this time around, I'm going the hard way.

A few weeks ago I scored a running 2012 Civic si with some front end damage. It could have been repaired and returned to the road, but where is the fun in that. I am not a fan of the new styling. Nothing compares to the funky EP3. Plus it's vivid blue! I plan on the same swap. Take EVERYTHING from the 12 Si and jam it in the EP3.

I think the motor and tranny have the same mounts. Maybe some minor refab to the rear mount, and a bit of fudging of the CRV mount for this motor and it should swap in. Then.....the fun starts. Wiring.

I have the complete harness from both cars. I plan to use everything from the 12 si with the exception of the SRS system. I am hoping I can wire the existing SRS system in. The other items I am worried about are ABS and VSC. I have the electrical manuals from both cars as well. I am trying to find as much information as I can prior to diving in. This will be a daily driver in the summer. I want to keep it clean, and mostly stock.

Only mods planned are what is necessary to get the exhaust and intake to fit and a flashpro. Nothing else. I love the z7 motor, I am not a die hard fan of 'dat VTEC' so I am not concerned about high rpm, vtce crossover, blah blah blah. I love the k series cause they are smooth, quiet, and bullet proof.

I will start to document my progress shortly and would love to hear your comments. Chances are you may all scare me away with your insults and flaming, though I have high hopes that this isn't the same as the grom community. You can tell me I am nuts, or headed for a dead end, but try to do so with reasoning!

Pictures to come soon!
309antonios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
309antonios

Default Re: K24z7 in 2002 EP3

Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 AM   #3
jdmdomo
K20a.org Basic User

In for info
jdmdomo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
309antonios

Sorry there hasn't been much information posted yet. The garage is COLD!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
309antonios

CRV bracket is on back order......
Old 01-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
AWOC
Lifetime Member

There are aluminum versions of the crv bracket. Talk to Autofair Honda. I've seen a few of those on their shelf. No need to wait for the oem one.

The only difference with this swap is the trans side bracket. It's a bit different where it mounts on the trans itself than the earlier versions.

Did you check with Hybrid or Hasport to see if they have an option yet? If not, I hope you have a welder and some basic metal skills to make your own.
AWOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
R3336

Thumbs up Re: K24z7 in 2002 EP3

i just bought one of the SiR models in late December as a impulse, to replace an ailing 92 Protege.

I am watching this build with great interest as I learn more about this little sleeper
R3336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #8
309antonios

My bracket shipped yesterday. AS for the trans mount, as far as I can tell, it's the same mount. I have not physically put it in yet, but they look damn similar, and I was gathering some additional info from this page...

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/Race...tor_p_440.html

Am I missing something? I could be brain dead.... I was more worried about the shift patter being reversed.

Last edited by 309antonios; 01-11-2017 at 04:53 AM..
Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
AWOC
Lifetime Member

Those are if you use a2/z1 cables and shifter box. Just use the cables and the box from the Si you have.
AWOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
309antonios

That's what I thought., but what I am pointing out is that page makes it sound like the tranny should fit without modification to the tranny mount.

What I don't get is what it's saying about modification to the rear mount, given that's on the engine itself. I suppose I won't know until I get the old motor out.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
309antonios

I do still wonder if i'll need the RSX-s selector though
Old 01-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
309antonios

I have been working on the stock motor. There is a stuck valve. I almost completed removing the motor last night. I just have to remove the main harness....and transaxles tonight and I'll pull it and swap the other motor in.....to check fitment.

It looks like the front and side mounts will fit. The rear will need some work I think!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309antonios View Post
Only mods planned are what is necessary to get the exhaust and intake to fit and a flashpro.
Sounds good . Did you already decide which parts of that mentioned systems (intake and exhaust) you want to install? Just asking as you said you like the quite driving .

Markus
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #14
309antonios

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
Sounds good . Did you already decide which parts of that mentioned systems (intake and exhaust) you want to install? Just asking as you said you like the quite driving .

Markus
Hey Markus,

I am hoping to use the stock airbox and exhaust from the k24. Of course I'll have some with the integrated header on the motor. I would also like to user the intake manifold from the k20 motor instead of the plastic on on the k24. I'll get it running stock first, then toy with that later. Once it's up and running, I'll toy with the manifold and short ram intake along with a flashpro and tuning.

I'm hoping to get there sooner than later. If the motor swaps in without too much bologna, I should be able to get it 'driveable' (legal requirements not entirely considered....) and work on the electronics and secondary systems.

I had the idea last night that I might be able to use both ECU's but I think this would only be necessary if I were running the stock dash. I plan to use the stock dash just for troubleshooting EPS and SRS when necessary.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
309antonios

Oh man! Getting the main harness out wasn't bad. I forgot how much more accessible the ecu is on the EP3 than the EM2.

I went to remove the transaxle end bolts and didn't have the right socket! After a few minutes I remember I had a standard impact socket I used 10 years ago when I did the K20 into my old EM2. I dug that out then realized I didn't have and punches any more.....I'll get it out tomorrow after I pick up a set of punches!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #16
309antonios

Hey all,

I completed the removal of the previous motor. I found why it wouldn't work, and why the valve wouldn't return in the cylinder......there is no friggen cylinder. I laughed so hard when I found a hole in the stock K20 that I could se right through. The conrod punched a hole a the same height on both sides, plus a nice hole in the bottom of the block.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
309antonios

Then all of a sudden...THIS happened!

Old 01-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
309antonios

Okay gang, the initial swap of the motor isn't that bad. Everything fits pretty well. Two of the four motor mounts worked OEM style (the front mount and the tranny mount). The front mount bolt holes on the block need to be tapped. 1 of the three holes have threads, two don't. Easy fix.The passenger side mount (bought the crv mount) works, but doesn't bolt to the block correctly as seen in the pictures below. The bottom bolt is shy of the bottom hole, and the CRV bracket is much smaller then the stock z7 mount which has 5 bolts. I'd like to get at least the three mounted correctly. Only having two used freaks me out.

You can see the misalignment of the bottom bolt a bit better here. I cut the bottom out later so I could put a third bolt in, but I really don't want to rig anything. I just did it for fitment, even though the two were fine.

Below is a shot of the z7 mount (left) CRV mount (center) and stock K20 mount (right) for comparison. I thought I had seen a CRV mount somewhere that looked a bit more universal. It looked similar to the P2r unit that is aluminum. I would like to have the top of the stock unit milled down to give the height needed to keep the motor level.

The transaxels and intermediate shaft from the EP3 are needed. They have the toner rings as well as the length required for the wheel hubs. Everything just swaps over. Below is a picture of the intermediate shafts for comparison, shorter one being the EP3 unit, as well as it mounted on the z7 block with the stock shield.

WTF is this thing?

I pulled it out from here, the two shiny holes on the back of the motor.

Does anyone know of any mounts that I could use for other K24 swaps that would bolt to any of these locations on the above pictures, and connect to the mount point on the rear of the EP3 subframe as shown below?

Last edited by 309antonios; 01-21-2017 at 06:25 PM..
Old 01-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #19
309antonios

I was just thinking of options for buttoning up the passenger side mount. Why couldn't I use the stock z7 bracket, and make a different bracket that attaches from that to the chassis mount on that side.

I found what I thought the universal mount might be.

http://www.corsportusa.com/honda-acu...mount-bracket/
Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #20
309antonios

Never mind, found what I needed. Just need to work on the back mount now.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda...=11910-RZA-000