3rd Honda, Doing it Right This Time. - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
Chance EG
K20a.org Basic User

Default 3rd Honda, Doing it Right This Time.

Hey everyone. Late introduction here, been around the forums for a little bit mostly just lurking and absorbing information.

23 years old, grew up in Texas graduated from uni with a degree in IT. Currently working and living in Kansas.

I've been interested in cars since I started playing the old NFS games when I was 10 or younger. My dad got me a Go-Kart when I was like 11, took off the throttle limiter on it and built a ramp for me out in the field, etc. I've always enjoyed action sports and automotives.

First car I tried to mod, with no formal and minimal self training, was my 93 GSR swapped Hatchback CX. I did mostly minor things with this car like bolt-ons, but learned some very basic things during my time of owning it before selling it after a year. While in my possession I had the GSR engine swapped by a shop in San Antonio (JJ's), which also pressed me to start learning more as they did such a terrible job with the swap that I had to go back over many of the components myself. This also left me with a distrust for most shops, so I'm now always hesitant to take my car anywhere.

The next car I tried to seriously modify, and my first major project, was a 2001 AP1 S2000 that I owned for 3 years. I attempted to piece together parts from S2KI and custom build a turbo kit while I was still in college full time and working 30 hour weeks. You can imagine how things finally ended up coming together once the build was complete... Knick-knack issues every few hundred miles, I'm sure over time I could have ironed it all out but the turbo build took a lot out of me both mentally and physically so by the time I graduated college I didn't want anything more to do with the car. When it would behave though, this car was a blast.

When I moved to Kansas I bought another 93 Civic. This time though, I held out and kept searching until I found a (kinda) clean and (mostly) unmolested Si hatch. I bought the car with a ton of issues, original ruined 25 year old paint, tons of body panel (but no frame/rust) damage, and some of the worst and most lazy wiring work I've ever seen by someone attempting to jerry-rig fog lights into the car. On the plus side however, this car only has ONE previous title holder besides me, and has been owned by the same family since the car was purchased off the showroom floor in 93.

My plans this time are to take my time, use only new and top shelf parts, and go after a configuration that will be fun, reasonable, and reliable. I'm also intending to daily drive this car, so I'll be keeping amenities like AC and PS with a full interior. I'll even be adding things like power windows/locks.

The car is currently in my home town getting painted "Crystal Black Pearl". I'm looking forward to getting it back and finishing the interior. The overall color scheme of the car will be black/gold on the exterior, with red accents on the inside and in the engine bay.

I'll probably never make a build thread on this car, as my work tends to be sporadic and inconsistent based on whatever time/resources I have. Since purchasing I've already replaced/upgraded the following:

New front/rear bumpers and lips, both fenders, new thin side moldings, new glass sunroof, new head and tail lights, new bluetooth head unit and speakers all around, personal steering wheel & NRG hub, etc. Basically just a lot of little things.

Still have about $20K+ to sink into this. End goal is a reasonably mint Si Hatch with a K24 swap crate engine from 4 Piston Racing.

Pics of hatch:

https://i.sli.mg/lFcUKS.jpg

https://i.sli.mg/D7S4LO.jpg

https://i.sli.mg/6H328Q.jpg

https://i.sli.mg/lFcUKS.jpg

Last edited by Chance EG; 01-10-2017 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Embedded images are too large
Chance EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Bjay1

Default Re: 3rd Honda, Doing it Right This Time.

Big time goals man, wish I had 20 plus thousand to invest lol good luck, 4P is the right direction !
Bjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Chance EG
K20a.org Basic User

Default Re: 3rd Honda, Doing it Right This Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay1 View Post
Big time goals man, wish I had 20 plus thousand to invest lol good luck, 4P is the right direction !
Big goals but I'm trying to keep it reasonable. And yeah, I'm expecting this build to end up costing me at least ~$30K overall, but it's definitely worth it in my opinion for what the results should be. I'm also spacing out my purchases over the next 18-24 months or so, I'm focusing on one area of the car at a time. The exterior is almost complete now and I have maybe $2K more to put into the interior before I'll move on to brakes and suspension. Going to overhaul with Fortune Auto coilovers, S2 control arms, ASR rear sub, etc etc.... Wilwood brake kit all around with SS lines.

Super excited . I'll post a picture of the car once it's finally out of paint, but the shop has been dragging ass.
Chance EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message