Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Prelude K24!!

22K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  McCoy 
#1 ·
I always wondered about this swap and why no one has done it.

See less See more
#9 ·
Yeah Im pretty sure i saw that exact car at shannonville the last time I was there.

It cant be much more difficult than a civic/integra swap and those cars weigh about 60kg more than an integra so weight isnt really a factor since you could get it down to 1000kg fairly easily. Duno why people say its such a heavy car but i guess every other car is a pig when you compare it the an ef/eg civic...

edit - great post btw its nice to see love for the bb4

#7 ·
It's so weird that the Prelude chassis hasn't really been done. Oh yeah, I know Mortimer Schnerd did one in the beautiful Schroon Lake resort town three years ago and a smattering of hippies did one in the Dutch East Indies, but comparatively speaking no one has done it. What I mean is no one has documented and made the build official complete with numbers and updates. The magazine article that I posted could be considered by some to make it "official" .... however not by my high standards.

#8 ·
Lol I think the reason why is because atleast with the BB6...they needed a minimum of a V6 to get them moving lol..If a line of honda ever needed a V6 option... it was the prelude. But I agree. I'd like to see some posted. The preludes were always sporty, but the H22a1/a4s weren't ballsy enough for that chassis.

#11 ·
I think they made a custom header because they want to keep the stock power steerin. This also placed the motor farther forward than I would and they had to tilt it so the head was leaning a little to clear the stock hood. I would pull the power steering and ABS and place the motor where it should be inregards to the axle angles and legnths. I learned to drive in a '64 Galaxie 500 XL that had no power steering and a big block 390FE motor (850lbs) and thought nothing of it. I guess the men of today - even though they go to the gym 7 days a week - have the arm strength of "Chatty Cathy". I think it would be a great street car. Most guys that do a K-swapped chassis are out to set new drag records. I like to arrive quickly and powerfully to the Ho' House. Priorities right? Oh yeah .... to place the engine where it is the most advantageous would allow for a swap header. Big bay!!

#12 ·
I agree, an old school car without power steering makes the a Honda with any swap feel like cake walk! I learned how to drive with a 77' caprice classic equipped with a 350 and no PS. Made me a man I guess cause a lot of these kids now days think driving a swapped civic without PS is hard lol. I think the hardest car I've driven was a 69' Impala on 22's with no PS, now that was a little rough! You had to be moving to turn in that hoe, but it was worth it when you pulled up to the Ho' House :D

Anyways, yeah I think they should redo that swap and have it sitting properly and remove the PS. That way they dont ever run into axles issues and they could possibly use a nice swap header.

#16 ·
That motor would present some more difficulties I think - mounts & ECU. The K series motors weigh less than the Preludes so some weight would come off just from the swap. Taking off PS/cruz control/ABS would save more weight. K series + K-Pro would give the Prelude all the power that a J could if built right and if your removed the parts I just listed making a power to weight ratio comparable to just putting a J swap in. Putting in a J motor would just be putting more weight on that front end/suspension. That is really not a big step forward. I would not build this car to race but rather to be a fast street car. I guess you could do the "Dry Ice/sweaty man/tar removal" and gut the interior route to look like a racer tho' if you wanted to.

#18 ·
Granted it was a C series V6.. [C27 i believe] the 95-97 accords came equipped with v6s..and if you were lucky, you could actually find them in a 5 speed. I'm sure the design of the C series is nothing Like the J series, but the accord and prelude chassis are extremely similar...pretty comparable to the EG/DC (in regards to the engine bay)... not sure how relevant that is to this thread lol...but just some tidbits.

The funny part was back in the day I had my 94 jdm h22a accord sedan..and another riced out accord sedan pulled up next to me and we ran it..and he hung with me pretty well.. and he told me his was the v6 5spd.

#17 ·
Yea, you could definately get more power from a K than the J because of the aftermarket support, and would have plenty of room to do a generous sized turbo, but I do like the fact of filling the engine bay with a J and have PLENTY of TQ...I wouldn't complain with either engine as long as it was done right.

#19 ·
:eek: x2. I have not really followed the progression/generations of 6 cylinder motors hence the C+J confusion on my part. I am not really sure of the electrical management systems that one can employ with the 6 cylinder series' either. Maybe I talked out of turn. Pardon my dust/I'm still under construction.:up::up:

#23 ·
What a sleeper with a K24 in that thing it will haul. People were into the F20b swaps and a few frank combos. H23/22 OR F23/H22 also known as G23. It's still a nice build making like 240 all motor!! I was gonna do it to my CD5 until I went K and all the monies were dumped here. Got an RSX. The Prelude is pretty heavy. It's actually listed heavier than the RSX even though it looks smaller. I guess sort of like the Del Sols which are way heavier than they look for safety reasons. However it does handle well and I'd say it's pretty aerodynamic

#25 ·
I like the fourth generation Prelude. Miss me with that 4 wheel steer business though.

This car has very nice possibilities. I know you could shed a lot of excess weight. It has a great stance and good looks.
Agreed...She's a beauty. Didn't a very few have rear wheel or all wheel? Maybe they were converted. I know for a fact I saw one either rear or all wheel drive. Might be on You tube. Here...It's that 4ws your talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bJ_42G7Qs

Did this work well? I guess not since it's not common

#27 ·
hadnt been on here in a while....i was the 1st to buy the BBK hasport kit and decided to go with a 2006 k24a2, besides myself there is a 4th gen doing a K20 swap which also used the hasport kit and a k20 bb9 prelude in poland which was all custom. As soon as i finish the bay ill post a build thread. Sorry for the crappy i phone pics.

#28 ·
I saw a bb today and he had under construction I'n huge lettering acrosshe rear windshield. He also had no hood. I bet He's not prepping for a k swap though! I want to see this bro, lots of anxiety lol

#31 ·
Finally. The lude' gets some balls.

Very cool idea. I think alot of people feel that the Prelude is an asthetically pleasing car.....for some reason or another its been the red-headed stepchild when it came to the hardware.

Glad to see that, too, is coming around.

Keep up the good work fellas :up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.