Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Correcting improper clutch geometry

92K views 184 replies 80 participants last post by  jamnobm36 
#1 ·
Resurfaced flywheels FTL with stage3-4 clutchs.
You do know that Exedy/Daiken manufactur ALMOST all the clutchs other than twin discs that are used in the Kseries trans.

The stage 3-4 clutchs from ACT, Centerforce, Exedy and Clutchmasters, all use the SAME pressure plate except for the exterior paint.
ACT hdss, Centerforce, FX400 pressure plates.

But they use different discs which are also from Exedy.

The ACT disc (exedy disc part# HD510D)

The Centerforce disc(exedy disc part# HD511D)

The CM FX400 disc(made by CM's own supplier supposedly(I suspect Exedy))

These pressure plates are a little on the "short side" for the installed height when compared to a stock dimension pressure plate. This shorter height is compensated for by the hydraulic system, but it places the throwout arm and slave cylinder close to half travel already. As you step on the clutch pedal the slave starts moving as well, but before the CMC has reached max travel the slave has . But because the CMC is traveling it continues to pressurize the system causing the hydraulic failures seen.
This can be fixed by adding a washer between the throwout arm pivot ball stud and the clutch case correcting the faulty geometry of the stage3-4 clutchs and places the engagement point up off the floor.

See less See more
#81 ·
so im new to this cite and ive been a active member on s2ki for a while now...i need some k help lol i have a 2006 type s a spec and i instaled a act clutch on it. Its grinding in 2nd now and kinda pops out...i did a new slave and all that so do you guys think it just needs bled again? thanks for your help!

#83 ·
damn i just put my competition clutch stg 4 in this past weekend. tho the first post doesnt say anything about competition clutches so is there a problem with them? are they made by exedy also? this has been going on for years why havent they been redsign?or at least provide a washer.

#88 ·
I have tranny problems also..act prolite flywheel hdu pressure plate and full face street disc.. when driving normal no problem at all but when reving up to the rev limited and shifting it does not go into gear causing a miss shift.. does this have to do with washer or do I feel the pain of the weak k tranny.

#89 ·
sounds like the normal old K-series tranny problems...I have lessened the problem with engine mounts and better fluid..but honestly I think the cure is better syncros and not getting on it everyday.

#91 ·
I have a k24 stock clutch fw pp couldn't get it to go in gear I'm using an 05 type s tranny Could the washer fix this I have adjusted the pedal both directions many times. There seems to be a lot of travel in the slave. I was gonna order a clutch kit. I got a clutch thickness .315 I don't know if it's just worn out.

#97 ·
It really is amazing what a washer can do...

The washer is approx 1/16-3/32", I just snagged one out of the parts bin.

#99 ·
i have a lil problem i got cm stage4 and for some reason when i put it in first i feel that the car moves a lil is that normal? and my 2gear went bad it goes in but when i release clucth it pop out so i know i have to get that fix but would the washer help me?

#101 ·
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i recently purchased a 3 puck, with exedy pressure plate, and i addded 1 washer. When i put the transmission back on the slave cylinder looked compressed as if itthe throw out bearing was already was making contacct with the pressure plate.

pics:

#106 ·
I installed a F1 cluch kit 6 puck stage 4(flywheel, disc, pressure plate) in my rsx got it all put back together put it in gear and heard the sound in the video (chubacka)
The sound happeneds when I am stopped in gear and realeasing the clutch to move forward or back. It also happeneds if I am releasing the clutch after a shift but it isn't as loud. I'm pretty sure this sound is from the clutch disc contacting the flywheel face and not properly clamping and allows the clutch to slip more. Would the washer trick help this? Or is that even my problem? I have been told it could be my throw out bearing but it doesnt make the sound if I am in nuetral and pump the clutch pedal. I have adjusted the pedal all the way out and have bled system mutiple times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9cTjMNbKQ&feature=youtu.be

#108 ·
hey guys and sorry for my english

I installed CM FX 350 clutch with new 4kg flywheel and now i have problems with shiftings all gears at high revs 7500 and above. Shifting is not smooth. Its hard to change gears but there is no grinding!
Guys that mod with washer solve my problem????

#109 ·
Depends, but if you feel your clutch is not fully engaging, then yes, this is the easiest fix. I have been doing this on every single tranny removal/clutch install I do.

#113 ·
I did with about a 3mm thick washer for like a 17mm bolt... Don't really have a specific washer per say I just use whatever I have on hand at the time.

#116 ·
Far as I'm concerned the thicker the washer the better, the more throw you will get.... Not really a set measurement pretty much any size washer you put there will help the situation.

#119 ·
Doesn't hurt to do with any clutch around... My input at least... Have done on Act, Comp of random stages. I think it's a good practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.