Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Power steering in your EK.

132K views 44 replies 32 participants last post by  johnkerk 
#1 · (Edited)
This is using a stock RSX type S power steering line (02-04) and stock location of the reservoir. Do this at our own risk. This is the same as the other one i did, but I resized pictures and cleaned it up.

First you need to Flip flop the black fitting on top of the rsx power steering pump. The hole is already there you just need to tap it so you can use the oem hardware. I believe its a #6 tap. Then get a power steering hose from a auto parts store and run it to the reservoir.

You can use the stock rsx reservoir but it will need to be relocated and the line that goes to the reservoir from the rack will need to be relocated.

Next. The other line into the pump goes to the rack. Use the oem RSX type s line. A base line might fit but this is using the type s line. All you have to do is bend it (without kinking it) the way you want it to go. This will bolt up to your rack. It might take a few times to bend it and get it in right but take your time and don't strip it.

Follow my arrows. You have enough hose to make it neater. Thats where the line is. This is where the big soft line turns into a hard line where you'll need to bend it into shape to go around stuff towards the rack.

This is the oem line that comes out of the rack that comes with your car. It will stay with the reservoir. You don't need to do anything to it.

Next is the hood, You'll need to trim the under skeleton like so. The straight part up at the top is cut out for the hose.

See less See more
#9 ·
What length belt are you using.I have k20a with idler pulley no a/c and want to fit dc5 pump.I want to have the right belt before i start coz its a daily driver.

Great thread by the way,i was going to sell my car but with power steering it will be completely different.

#13 ·
You don´t have to cut the skelet hood if you use the jackson puley, just hammer it a bit, and it will clear, the engine don´t move that much in the mounts.

Just mounted my DC5 PS last weekend, I found a 134 cm with 6 rips that works perfect, Ive heard that the DC5 in Japan runs hydr. PS without AC, so that belt would be perfect, but i´m not able to order it here in Denmark :-(

Part number schould be this, in Japan. H3111-PRC-003

http://www.honda.co.jp/afterservice/parts/belt/hamp-tekiou.html

BTW this fitting you schould be able to use from your stock PS, and it will turn down, i used the one from my EK4

#14 ·
You don´t have to cut the skelet hood if you use the jackson puley, just hammer it a bit, and it will clear, the engine don´t move that much in the mounts.

Just mounted my DC5 PS last weekend, I found a 134 cm with 6 rips that works perfect, Ive heard that the DC5 in Japan runs hydr. PS without AC, so that belt would be perfect, but i´m not able to order it here in Denmark :-(

Part number schould be this, in Japan. H3111-PRC-003

http://www.honda.co.jp/afterservice/parts/belt/hamp-tekiou.html
where did you try to order the belt from?

#22 ·
I have a question. Before you even hook up the ps lines. Could you guys close your hood without any issue? I just got done swapping my k20 and i cant close my hood...Im using EKK1 mounts.

#28 ·
WE SHOULD KEEP IN MEMORY THIS THREAD TOO..

If you plan to autox, I highly believe that you will absolutely love adding P/S into your vehicle, especially if you have a slow manual rack. Not only was I not able to turn my car fast enough in slaloms w/o P/S, but the effort required was unbearable. I basically had to drive slower because my hands/arms were not physically fast enough to turn the wheel quick enough in tight slaloms, even though the car itself was much more capable. I debated on trying out a Quaife gear set, which would definitely decrease the steering wheel revolutions for a set wheel output; however, I knew that would just add more difficulty with the steering as that gear set would create a mechanical disadvantage for the driver. Since I've added the P/S, my car is ridiculously easy to drive fast and in control when on the limits; and when just daily driving, the car seemed to transform into a luxury car. Additionally, you know how when you run a lot of camber (to have a nice setup for autox for an ideal contact patch), but then when daily driving your car darts all over from left to right due to slight road inconsistencies, well, I can't say that has completely gone away, but the P/S definitely dampens that effect GREATLY! Anyway, onto the install...

Remove the spline coupling from the old rack and drop the rack/crossmember out...

No more rack/crossmember...

Old rack/crossmember (top) compared to 01 ITR rack/crossmember (bottom)

Civic input spline on old rack...

Integra input spline on new rack...

Obviously, you will need an Integra spline coupling to connect your steering linkage to the Integra rack...

My ITR rack lines were cut and beat up, so I replaced them with new ones...

Lines and rear mount bolted up and ready to install...

Get a friend, or use some jacks to help get the crossmember assembly into position to bolt up...

Mounted...

Rear mount connected...

Might as well add an ITR bar...

If you tried to install a stock P/S pump/pulley setup into an EG, you would have to cut a hole completely through your hood to get the pulley to fit. This is not the case on an EK or DC2, as there is enough hood clearance to just notch out the inner skeleton. After notching out my inner hood skeleton and realizing it wasn't going to happen, I started making plans to cut the hood. Luckily, a day before I planned on destroying the hood, I stumbled upon a pic of a Jackson Racing supercharger installed in an RSX. It was at that point when I realized something was up w/ the P/S pulley. It looked just slightly smaller in O.D., almost perfect for my application. So anyway, after ordering Jackson Racing P/N: 052-154 and checking it out, I was able to breathe a nice sigh of relief.

For a k20a2, you will want the belt shown below (52.2" long). I ran this belt initially on the k20a; but after some use, the belt has worn in and seated such that the tensioner is almost maxed out in its travel. For a k20a or k20z1 I would recommend going with the next shortest size which is a 52.0" long belt (to compensate for the smaller prc crank pulley).

Jackson Racing pulley installed. P/N: 052-154

For the fluid return, you could opt to go with a stock setup, but the cost of the parts just for a mediocre return did not seem to be worth it. I opted to get some 3/8" I.D. hose and utilize a $40 oil cooler from Perma-Cool Industries. P/N: 1007

It even mounted effortlessly in the vertical front bulkhead support.

RSX P/S reservoir mounted w/ return hoses hooked up...

Integra spline coupling connected..

For the high pressure hose, an 02-04 RSX Base or Type-S will work nicely. Whatever you do, do not get an 05+ high pressure hose! The fitting to go into the Integra/Civic P/S rack will not work as Honda increased the fitting size in 05 and up RSX's.

Bolt on the high pressure hose to the P/S pump.

Done...

Note: The one thing I didn't do, which can gain extra clearance, is to flip the plastic return connector on the pump upside-down. There is an existing hole in the pump that allows you to do this; but you need to tap it, such that you can thread in a screw to mount. This was an area where my hood would rub on, and over time I ended up cracking the carbon fiber hood because I did not address the issue quick enough. You may alternatively choose to do what k20a.org user kommon_sense has shared with us on Post #154.

Update: Option #2 - Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering!!!

Additional parts needed:

Mechanical Components:
Karcepts P/N: K-ES-0001 - EHPS Bracket; 91-95 MR2 Pump - Qty=1
EHPS Bracket Bolts - Hex Head Cap Screw; Zinc-Plated Steel; M10x1.25; 30mm Long - Qty=2
EHPS Pump - 91-95 Toyota MR2 Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering Pump - Qty=1
90385-13005 - Toyota Bushing - Qty=2
90560-10069 - Toyota Spacer - Qty=2
90119-10631 - Toyota Bolt - Qty=2

Hydraulic Components (Obviously, the 02-04 RSX Base or Type-S High Pressure Hose is no longer needed):
Obtain a custom high pressure hose assembly from a local hose shop, or make your own with the first 3 part numbers below.
RUS-632600 - Russell Hose, Powerflex, Braided Stainless Steel, -6 AN, 3 ft. Length - Qty=1
RUS-620411 - Russell Fitting, Hose End, Power Steering, 45 Degree, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Steel, Nickel Plated - Qty=1
RUS-620421 - Russell Fitting, Hose End, Power Steering, 90 Degree, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Steel, Nickel Plated - Qty=1
RUS-670531 - Russell Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male - Qty=1
RUS-670521 - Russell Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 14mm x 1.5 Male - Qty=1
EAR-780610ERL - Earl's Hose, Super Stock, Rubber, Black, -10 AN, 6 ft. Length - Qty=1
EAR-781006ERL - Earl's Hose, Super Stock, Rubber, Black, -6 AN, 10 ft. Length - Qty=1

Electrical Components
V23232-A0001-X003 - Tyco 12V 75A SPST Power Relay With Diode Suppression (same as Bosch 0 332 002 156 ) - Qty=1
181100F 100A 12V - Auto-Reset Circuit Breaker - Qty=1

Follow wiring schematic provided by: www.driveev.com
http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/photos/pg20pics/e10.png

Source the electrical components here: www.evsource.com

Enjoy!

#30 ·
DISCLAIMER : I'm not responsible of anything. If you are not mechanically and electrically inclined this conversion may not be for you. I do not consider myself an expert and your results may vary.

I would like to install a 2001 Toyota MR2 electric Hydraulic Steering Pump

Reference link - Aspiration :
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=38032107
http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12251
http://www.evalbum.com/tech/mr2_powersteering.html
http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/convpgs/psteer.php

My car :

All details :
Pump => EHPS MR2 Spyder Toyota 2000 to 2005
250 $
eBay Motors - Autos, Used Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Trucks, Parts, Accessories, RVs and Other Vehicles

Connection on steering (Integra 94-01)
M14-1.5mm

Connection on pump M16 par 1.5mm

High Pressure hose - 6 AN Each Extremity
Tank you to Karcepts Engineered Solutions - Home
80 $ US

Two Fitting
Russel Brand
RUS-670531 - Russell Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male - Qty=1
RUS-670521 - Russell Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 14mm x 1.5 Male - Qty=1

You need a Bracket to hold in place the MR2 Pump
This bracket is good for all Civic 96-00 with a K20/k24
Pump Bracket

Laser cutting

Installation de la Pompe sur la braket

Paint job 10 $

Rad 65$
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030

For the fluid return, you could opt to go with a stock setup, but the cost of the parts just for a mediocre return did not seem to be worth it. I opted to get some 3/8" I.D. hose and utilize a $40 oil cooler from Perma-Cool Industries. P/N: 1007

Rad. installation

Pump installation

Honda Accord 91-93, ABS modul

Diagram

From Honda-tech See my link aspiration
Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) Conversion
Pump Pin-Out Wiring
See the attached schematics for more details.
Click here for P/S Schematic

Fuse Box Pin-Out Wiring (91-93 Honda Accord ABS)
You won’t need the rest of the lower amp fuses.
Chick here for Fuse Box Schematic
MR2 Diagram:

Oil 6.50$ Cad (2 fois)

Resume - Pricing
Pump : 250$
Hose : 80 $
Fitting : 30 $
Radiateur : 65 $
Huile : 15 $
Bracket : Around 100$
Total : 540 $ and I win 8 HP! lol

Reference:
Karcepts Engineered Solutions - Home
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030
Russell Performance Plumbing - An Edelbrock Company
eBay Motors - Autos, Used Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Trucks, Parts, Accessories, RVs and Other Vehicles
Honda | Acura Research, Reviews, Performance Parts, Owners - Honda-Tech.com
K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Ready to race:

#35 ·
I just installed my k24a4 in 96 hatch. Hasport Ekk2 mounts in lower holes with type s pump. the hood hits the top inlet bolt hole of the pump just slightly and with latch. I'm making a new inlet elbow and i'm going to shave down the top mounting hole to see if I can clear the hood with out cutting. belt is clearing so far. I should be done in a few days to post pics.

Haven't had much time to work on it. changed plan a little. I shaved the pump housing a little and slotted the lower mount hole in the pump to help move it away from the hood a little and i'm in the middle of inlet modding. this looks like it gives me enough clearance not to worry about hitting the hood during boost pulls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.