DIY: a 05+ VSS/Transmission with an 02-04 Harness - Page 7 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 04-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #121
Nivek

Default Re: DIY: a 05+ VSS/Transmission with an 02-04 Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3nace View Post
What year dc5 trans are you using ?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
i dont know.but its serial is NPR3-1003071
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #122
m3nace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
i dont know.but its serial is NPR3-1003071
I'm not so familiar with the serial numbers but I would install first and see if it works only the 05 and 06 k20 trans need a speed converter the 02 to 04 will work with no speedo

m3nace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #123
Nivek

I installed it and it works just fine.it has several modes,i used low-high convert mode.So now its confirmed it works both ways perfectly.
here a little vid i made.speedo is little off but works fine.i need to calibrate it with a GPS speedo device though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S0-OiiPJGs

Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #124
m3nace

Quote:
I installed it and it works just fine.it has several modes,i used low-high convert mode.So now its confirmed it works both ways perfectly.
here a little vid i made.speedo is little off but works fine.i need to calibrate it with a GPS speedo device though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S0-OiiPJGs
Any issues with the speedo not reading at low speed all the time mines doing that lol

m3nace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 02:49 AM   #125
Nivek

Quote:
Any issues with the speedo not reading at low speed all the time mines doing that lol

Quote:

no,not at all.it read perfect even at 5 km/h.my speedo is working so smooth i some time wonder myself how but it does.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #126
WhiteEp

Hey Everyone,

This is my second time using the Dakota Converter, first on my Ep3 now on my Rsx.

I'm having trouble with the calibration. Every time I set up & get ready to drive, the unit powers down.

I heard you have to switch to a 5v power source instead of a 12v as stated in this thread. I attached the wiring as recommended on here as well.

Any thoughts? I'm going to switch the power source soon.

I have a P0500 code for the vss & just want to get my speedo to work. Thanks in advance.

Update:

switched to a 5v source but unit did not power on. Went back to 12v. Here's my current set up:

Having trouble with my dakota digital converter calibration. I have it wired up as it's stated on this thread. When I get out to calibrate, unit shuts off. Could it be wired wrong?

02 Rsx with Type S ecu
06 Si transmission
si speed sensor & plug

On 02-04 engine harness
Green/white (signal) ---connected to --- Output #4 on dakota digital box
Black (ground) --connected to -- green/black on 06 si vss plug
Yellow/black (Power) ---- yellow power on 06 si vss plug

Black/white --connected to-- Signal input on dakota digital box
grounded to ecu mounting bolt
Power from 12v source on ecu plug wire #1

That's how I have it set up now. Can't seem to get this thing to calibrate, keeps shutting off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1465995548250.jpg (855.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by WhiteEp; 06-15-2016 at 04:59 AM..
WhiteEp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 PM   #127
Nivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEp View Post
Hey Everyone,

This is my second time using the Dakota Converter, first on my Ep3 now on my Rsx.

I'm having trouble with the calibration. Every time I set up & get ready to drive, the unit powers down.

I heard you have to switch to a 5v power source instead of a 12v as stated in this thread. I attached the wiring as recommended on here as well.

Any thoughts? I'm going to switch the power source soon.

I have a P0500 code for the vss & just want to get my speedo to work. Thanks in advance.

Update:

switched to a 5v source but unit did not power on. Went back to 12v. Here's my current set up:

Having trouble with my dakota digital converter calibration. I have it wired up as it's stated on this thread. When I get out to calibrate, unit shuts off. Could it be wired wrong?

02 Rsx with Type S ecu
06 Si transmission
si speed sensor & plug

On 02-04 engine harness
Green/white (signal) ---connected to --- Output #4 on dakota digital box
Black (ground) --connected to -- green/black on 06 si vss plug
Yellow/black (Power) ---- yellow power on 06 si vss plug

Black/white --connected to-- Signal input on dakota digital box
grounded to ecu mounting bolt
Power from 12v source on ecu plug wire #1

That's how I have it set up now. Can't seem to get this thing to calibrate, keeps shutting off.
By the diagram i think your VSS signal goes directly to dash? and not to ecu ?
why not connect Dakota to a switched 12 v power source direcltly instead with ecu power source.similarly ground it seperately to any body bolt etc.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #128
WhiteEp

Quote:
By the diagram i think your VSS signal goes directly to dash? and not to ecu ?
why not connect Dakota to a switched 12 v power source direcltly instead with ecu power source.similarly ground it seperately to any body bolt etc.
I followed the guide on this thread in regards to all the wiring. It worked the same on my last project. I have a feeling the dakota box is defective. Keeps shutting off and won't let me calibrate. I know it's getting power since the ecu is getting power the entire time the keys are on, which is when I need my speedo to work.

I'm working with the Dakota tech right now, trying to see if I can get a swap for a working unit. If I can get it swapped & it works, great, if not, I'm going with Hybrid Racing's version of the converter box.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #129
Nivek

i got a Pm regarding a crz vss issue.so i am posting hre the diagram i used.may help some one.

B34 was ecu vss signal IN (countershaft signal in CRZ,honda fit,si)
Here is CRZ ecu pinout
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/genera...cu-wiring.html

but remeber the dakota speed adjustment will work if the car is running at some speed.u cant calibrate it when car is idle.
and ofcourse u will select LOW-HIGH option in dakota device.u can read it in their manual
so go out,have some 50-60 km/h speed and press + or - button on dakota to calibrate. and this is the reason u wanna put dakota wiring inside cabin not in hood.
Other thing is modern cars use high freuency vss signal and are 12 volts.
older use low frequency and 5 volts.so if u doing k20 swap in crz or civic si using 03 transmissions than u have to wire VSS as 5 volt.

THe diagram which above guy posted is for newer to older. i.e civic si vss to ep3 interface. which i have posted will work for old vss to new interface.In older interface vss signal was sent to both dash and ecu.in newer vss send it to ECU.from there ecu sends signal to dash.so in newer interface u will need dakota between VSS out and ecu. i mean u will cut(not tap) the vss out wire to ecu,put it in dakota signal in,than from dakota signal out to the wire outher end u just cut. it doest matter u cut it near vss or near ecu.
cutting near ecu is easy as vss is located down in transmission.
And Plz plz dont wire Dakota directly with ecu power and grounds.playing with ecu's power and ground can be risky.as if dakota fails and short circuit,u will damage ur ecu too and tow the car. have dakota its seperate 12 v + and ground it to any car metal body nuts.
i took power from my dash extra guages's power.i hope every one have one or two guages installed in their car to monitor coolant,oil temp etc
and for 5 volt VSS,u can take it from TPS sensor.i think its 5 volts.
any one else know a method to convert 12v to 5 volt for VSS ?
Just talked to my electritian and he says that the old VSS is 5 volt and he converted it to 12 volts.so its simple now just give VSS 12 volts and leave the ground and signal wire as it is.
so any one else doing it kindly confirm what voltage these sensors have by default? older has 5 and newer have 12 or vise versa.
because now more newer cars are undergoing k- swaps.so a lot people will need this info later on.

Last edited by Nivek; 10-13-2016 at 05:10 AM..
Old 11-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #130
Nivek

Ok i just measured the vss voltage and it was 4.95.so now its confirmed that newer ecu need 5 volt signal vss not 12 volt
Old 01-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #131
jdmdomo
K20a.org Basic User

I have the Dakota digital on my 04 rsx with and 05 transmission,

But stop working , I only have the wires from the VSS plug soldered into the sensor , without the plug .

Did I need to get the plug from a 05 VSS ??
jdmdomo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #132
Nivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdomo View Post
I have the Dakota digital on my 04 rsx with and 05 transmission,

But stop working , I only have the wires from the VSS plug soldered into the sensor , without the plug .

Did I need to get the plug from a 05 VSS ??
can you be more clear?
Dakota was workig and now it stopped working?
from what i know 04-05 transmission use high intensity signal.so you should not need any Dakota device.
what do you mean by 'plug'?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #133
jdmdomo
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
can you be more clear?
Dakota was workig and now it stopped working?
from what i know 04-05 transmission use high intensity signal.so you should not need any Dakota device.
what do you mean by 'plug'?
Yeah , man . I'm have the full 02-04 harness but only on the VSS sensor on the 05-06 tranny it's missing the plug , I only have the 3 wires soldering into the plug of the sensor ... I remember the speedometer working a couple days back.
jdmdomo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message