JDM K24a - Page 2 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 01:09 AM   #21
terrible

Default Re: JDM K24a

Good day I would like some advice on a K24 bottom and K20Z4 head. If I am able to get my hands on a K24A and its a JDM version 3 camlobe setup on each camshaft and I take the K24A block and put on the FN2 K20Z4 head what are the things I would have to change. I'm looking at management first of all I would like to know is there a need to change pistons and conrods. And can this K24A pistons be used and if yes would I need to pocket the pistons if I use the K20Z4 head? Would I use the crank sensor of the K24A and things like knock sensor and what head gasket? Any proper information is highly appreciated thank you.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #22
funktion
K20a.org Basic User

I'll give an update with my experience with the jdm k24a. I ordered the k-tuned adjustable idler pulley. Wouldn't fit. The pulley hit the auto tensioner. I removed the auto tensioner to make sure it would at least bolt up to the water housing. Nope.
So. Not sure if the auto tensioner would work with different water housing, but I found a water housing, pump, and auto tensioner on eBay. Hopefully that works.
funktion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #23
funktion
K20a.org Basic User

Next bit of update. Power steering pump. The high pressure fitting bolt holes are different position from rsx, so I got an rsx power steering off eBay. All together for the power steering pump and water pump/housing set me back about $150. Not huge, but one more thing to consider when looking at this engine.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #24
Dc5stunnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktion View Post
Next bit of update. Power steering pump. The high pressure fitting bolt holes are different position from rsx, so I got an rsx power steering off eBay. All together for the power steering pump and water pump/housing set me back about $150. Not huge, but one more thing to consider when looking at this engine.
What chassis is this going into?
I haven't been able to get a hold of a computer to post pics. I dropped my engine in like 2 weeks ago and noticed that the heater pipe from the jdm K24a points out to about half way between the valve cover and fuse box. You can make it work if you get a longer heater hose. But I think it might be in the way if you run a short ram. I ordered and installed a tsx heater pipe which hugs the engine more but still need a longer piece of hose. This is in an rsx by the way.
Dc5stunnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #25
funktion
K20a.org Basic User

Default JDM K24a

Mine is k swap. Going in 98 hatch
Old 07-20-2016, 03:51 AM   #26
an2ny888

funktion, was the power steering hose on your engine missing?
i have this engine as well, going to drop it into my eg soon.
my engine came with the power steering hose attached, so i'll just reuse that.
an2ny888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
funktion
K20a.org Basic User

The hose and fitting were there but the hose was cut. That is high pressure side. I guess I could cut and weld new fitting on?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #28
Dc5stunnin

Wanted to just add a tsx serpentine belt with K20 accessories, I.e. water pump power steering pump, ac pump. Fit fine on my oddesy absolute K24a in a rsx but need longer heater hose...hope to start it up tomorrow...
Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #29
an2ny888

dc5stunnin, did you start it up yet? how is it?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #30
Dc5stunnin

Yea on Sunday afternoon, I went and get a battery. It started right up. I just drove it around my neighborhood since my tags are expired, I just got to bleed the powersteering system and clutch line and it should be good, oh and get a tune I got drag cartel drop in cams. It sounds so mean with the 3 in exhaust too. Felt so good to drive it after a year and half of working on it..
Old 07-27-2016, 02:59 AM   #31
an2ny888

do you have a build thread? i would love to see some pics of the engine installed
Old 07-27-2016, 06:08 AM   #32
Dc5stunnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by an2ny888 View Post
do you have a build thread? i would love to see some pics of the engine installed
I don't but let me see if I can get a hold of a computer so I can upload some pics.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #33
funktion
K20a.org Basic User

Anyone have one of these engines out of the car still?
I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to figure out why my car wouldn't start.
I finally figured out it was the cam timing.
The white TDC mark on the crank pulley does not line up to the arrow like it does on other k engines I have seen. it is off by almost 90 degrees.
You can check this by the location of the key way in relation to the white mark.

on an RSX, at TDC the keyway is 12 o'clock and the white mark is like 11 o'clock

On my engine at TDC the keyway is 12 o'clock and the white mark is like 2 o'clock

I was told this is a pulley off of a new k24 engine, but I cannot confirm this.
Just curious if these engines are like this or if mine had the wrong pulley on it.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #34
Dc5stunnin

Hey,
I can't remember well but I think mine was funky like that. So when I went to put the timing chain I just lined up the marks on the crank sprocket. It sounds like a bitch, but you might have to remove the timing chain cover to make sure I guess.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #35
funktion
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5stunnin View Post
Hey,

I can't remember well but I think mine was funky like that. So when I went to put the timing chain I just lined up the marks on the crank sprocket. It sounds like a bitch, but you might have to remove the timing chain cover to make sure I guess.

That's what I had to do. It was a PITA
Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #36
katman
Lifetime Member

just a FYI...

An easy way to check a JDM K24 engine (or any K engine for that matter) is simply by looking for the head's stamped part number. A dead giveaway right there without having to remove the valve cover to inspect for 3-lobed camshafts.
-----------------------
FF SQUAD | FFS TechNet | FFS Videos
katman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #37
an2ny888

it is also possible to check if it's the 3 lobe version by looking through the oil cap hole in the valve cover
Old 12-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #38
WhiteEp

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktion View Post
I'll give an update with my experience with the jdm k24a. I ordered the k-tuned adjustable idler pulley. Wouldn't fit. The pulley hit the auto tensioner. I removed the auto tensioner to make sure it would at least bolt up to the water housing. Nope.
So. Not sure if the auto tensioner would work with different water housing, but I found a water housing, pump, and auto tensioner on eBay. Hopefully that works.
I had this issue with my Jdm k24a, luckily I still had all my parts from my previous motor & just swapped them over. Those parts are mostly compatible with the 09+ Tsx/Accord motors.

The best way to tell if it's a 3 lobe cam (vtec) motor is to look at the intake manifold cover: grey cover/red letters = real vtec; black intake manifold cover = 160hp vtec; also, the 160 hp motors will have an egr set up on the right side of the motor.

Great motor btw, got mine for $1200 shipped from a Jdm importer in Ohio. If anyone has questions, feel free to hit me up
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #39
mattfromkingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by an2ny888 View Post
it is also possible to check if it's the 3 lobe version by looking through the oil cap hole in the valve cover
this is how I did it when I went to my local importer (jdmenginedepot) in jersey.
mattfromkingston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #40
jdmcl706

Hi Pros, I am from Asia, I have a CL7a ( K20A with automatic like RSX base model ). Thinking to swap in the Honda Odyssey Absolute engine with 200hp and convert the auto tranny into CL7 euro R 6 speeds manual LSD tranny with 4.7 FD. Hope can get some opinion from all the pros here. Any good?
jdmcl706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message