Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

What made this engine fail?

13K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  amc1976 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine with an 08 Si was driving downhill in 3rd gear full throttle, and before 4th gear he head a noise, then the oil light came on and it didn't start. the head was still intact but here are some pics of the block:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hmmz well 3rd gear, full throttle, just before 4th gear, down hill.

What was the engine rpm just before he shifted into 4th?
Yup, was it raining?
List of mods, if any?
Was the engine up to operating temperature?

From what I gather without tearing it apart, it could have been an over rev situation (3rd, WOT, downhill) that caused a rod to let go.

It could have also been a simple manufacture defect, the hardness of the metal regarding the conn. rod ie: metal hardened too much = brittle and vise versa.

Also even low oil pressure to that cylinder's rod and bearings would have caused a failure.

It could be a variety of issues . . . .

one word WARRENTY.

#8 ·
deffinatley sounds like a misshift...alittle 3rd into 2nd instead of 4th eh!!

We would get these at acura all the time saying pretty much what you described.."oh we were just driving it in 3rd gear and it just shut off". Weird sir cause a rod is hanging through the ****ing bottom!!!

Cracks me up cause you could hold that motor at the rev limiter for prolly hours before something happened to it..... but 15,000rpm looks like your pics.

#12 ·
i will have to personally agree with the option of say he when into 2nd gear, instead of 4th gear where he actually down shifted instead of just going into 4th gear. it has happen to many other driver who are not as experience with the new k shifting mechansims. you better have a good excuse for the warranty.

#16 ·
I'm not up on my k20z3 pumps. I know they made the teeth smaller to fit more, but is it possible that it doesn't flow as well up top because of it's 2:1 rotation due to the balance shafts. So even the slightest unfavorable situation might lower OIl pressure to the point of failure.

#20 · (Edited)
Many people don't realize oil consumption in any Honda has a max acceptable rate of 1 quart per every 3k! (that's Hondas word not mine) Which means, if you don't keep an eye on your oil level you may be runnin' too low! I just helped pull a pan on a 09Si 2day and the oil pump making tons of noise. The owner drove it like it was stolen all the time, and never checked the oil -the oil pump paid the price. I'm not sayin' ur bud did the same. Just sharin' my experience. If your within warranty -by all means take it to the dealer.

#21 ·
The FG2 guys had a lot of issues with oil pump failures, that along with a reduced oil level, steep downhill grade and a slight misshift, and a rod failure is very believable as your pics show.

Honda recommends checking your oil level AT EACH FUEL STOP!!!!

#22 ·
If you ever see the oil pump light it means there is no oil in the pan... So most prob it was already low on oil plus the downhill at wot I would guess too much air was being sucked by the oil pump or failure in the gear and there goes the motor. Every oil light story is the same loss of oil bye bye rods :p

#27 ·
i lot of people dont know but u have to change ya oil frequent with these k's my boys car is in the shop right now cause the lack of oil changes and the vtec solenoid was cloged which is know with a lot of si and accords cause he tryed to hit vtec and the car just cut off on him which but the car in safe mode so he didnt blow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.