New mid-engine K24 project, Midlana - Page 49 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #961
kb58
K20a.org Master User

Default Re: New mid-engine K24 project, Midlana

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtye View Post
awesome to hear Kurt, does all the composite work bring back memories of kimini? None the less, the new aero work looks mean. I like it
Oh yeah, it underscores that I'm working with the stuff in a poor environment. Given more space with better ventilation (and detached from the house), I'd be singing the praises of it. Composite work is best for making multiple copies of a shape, especially one with 3D curves. Making one of something with single-plane bends is a waste of the material, and not vacuum-bagging it means the end product weighs the same as aluminum, never mind being more likely to contain bubbles. I guess what I'm saying is that you pick your battles - it's great for production parts, less so for one offs. That said, the look of the end product was important in this case because it's out there on top for everyone to see. The thought of square corners on the ducting overrode my aversions. That's the long answer

Last edited by kb58; 12-07-2016 at 05:55 AM..
kb58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #962
kb58
K20a.org Master User

Still around but am taking time off from the car after 7(!) years to work on something totally different, redoing our backyard koi pond. Building the new filter system is a refreshing change from the car yet requires all the same tools and fabrication skills. This is a half-completed rotating drum filter. Water flows in from the right into the barrel, then flows out through a filter screen (not installed yet). When the output-side water level drops it means the screen is starting to plug up and a float switch turns on a gear-reduction motor and sprayer to clean it off. It "should" be an entirely hands-off unit when done.

To keep this somewhat car-related, here's my car next to my brother's, an LS3-powered Stalker, sort of a sprint car for the street. Both cars make about the same power but are very different animals!

Last edited by kb58; 12-07-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #963
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
...redoing our backyard koi pond. Building the new filter system...This is a half-completed rotating drum filter. Water flows in from the right into the barrel, then flows out through a filter screen (not installed yet). When the output-side water level drops it means the screen is starting to plug up and a float switch turns on a gear-reduction motor and sprayer to clean it off. It "should" be an entirely hands-off unit when done.
Very smart development kb58 . Does it belong to the backyard we can see in the picture? If so, the right side of it would run the pump all the time...LOL . This is a real water demanding soil .

Concerning the filter cleaning technique, similar is used in power plant exhaust gas filtering (dust), which uses sort of paper or fleece filter (don't know better word) which get's pulsated by pressure vibration. There the process is like get rid of the dust at the fleece and than - important - it falls down according gravity. With your technique, you would have to support the particles not only to get rid of the filter screen also to get out of the barrel. Did you solve the particle flow out too?

Markus
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #964
kb58
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
Very smart development kb58 . Does it belong to the backyard we can see in the picture? If so, the right side of it would run the pump all the time...LOL . This is a real water demanding soil .

Concerning the filter cleaning technique, similar is used in power plant exhaust gas filtering (dust), which uses sort of paper or fleece filter (don't know better word) which get's pulsated by pressure vibration. There the process is like get rid of the dust at the fleece and than - important - it falls down according gravity. With your technique, you would have to support the particles not only to get rid of the filter screen also to get out of the barrel. Did you solve the particle flow out too?

Markus
No, that's not my yard

Credit where credit is due, I read through several build threads on how people made their own and went with this one, so it's about 90% someone else's design.

Because dirty water enters the barrel, the waste and dirt is stuck to the inside surface. As the drum rotates up out of the water, high-pressure sprayers blow the waste off the screen into a collection tray that's just above the surface of the water. The waste is washed down the tray and out to be disposed of. The assembly isn't done which is why there's no tray or gear motor yet. To not waste water (we're in SoCal, drought central), the sprayer and motor only activate via a float switch when needed, when the output-side water level drops. Lastly, all waste water ends up on plants or vegetables, so in a way the pond uses zero water.

Last edited by kb58; 12-08-2016 at 06:55 AM..
Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #965
kb58
K20a.org Master User

Infrequent update:
I'm still around, but still burnt out on composite work. The car's fine, I just haven't be driving it because this is our rainy season and surprise, this season, SoCal's been getting hammered. It's just as well since I'm spending my time still working on the pond system.

The only car-related update I have is that I attempted to drop off the composite air ducts to a paint shop but they weren't interested. Well, they used the excuse that they couldn't color match my chosen color... I bit my tongue really hard and didn't say "you're the only paint shop I've ever known that can't color match." The real reason is that they didn't want to do it... I'd have respected that honest answer better. Anyhow, I'll take in a color sample to a automotive paint shop where they can computer-match the color, then try again - at some different auto paint shop.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 AM   #966
drtye
Lifetime Member

Ugh, thats frustrating to hear. Only one more reason I will be using ral colors in the future.
drtye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #967
Chance EG
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Infrequent update:

The only car-related update I have is that I attempted to drop off the composite air ducts to a paint shop but they weren't interested. Well, they used the excuse that they couldn't color match my chosen color... I bit my tongue really hard and didn't say "you're the only paint shop I've ever known that can't color match." The real reason is that they didn't want to do it... I'd have respected that honest answer better. Anyhow, I'll take in a color sample to a automotive paint shop where they can computer-match the color, then try again - at some different auto paint shop.
I know how you feel... I haven't had my EG in over 7 months because when I first took it to get painted (Maaco, huge mistake from the get-go) the car sat at their shop for 6 weeks after I had already paid them and they didn't even START working on it.

After that I took the car to a shop 700 miles away in my hometown that I thought I could trust. The car has been there since Thanksgiving and they haven't started painting it, and keep giving me run-arounds and lately even some rather blatant hostility...

Unfortunately its incredibly hard to find decent work these days.... Incredibly hard... Just pathetic really since all I'm requesting is a factory black repaint, which was the original color of the car anyway.
Chance EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #968
libertymkiii

Default Re: Mid-engine K24 project, Midlana

All the skills and tricks you have learned so far... Its time to learn to paint. I learned years ago from a painter. I have done many garage paint jobs since then. Now days I am sure you could learn via YouTube

01' MR2 K20 swap, crazy mods to come
libertymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #969
Chance EG
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertymkiii View Post
All the skills and tricks you have learned so far... Its time to learn to paint. I learned years ago from a painter. I have done many garage paint jobs since then. Now days I am sure you could learn via YouTube
I was actually going to comment about something like that up above.

I feel like if you take the automotive hobby seriously now, unfortunately you pretty much do have to become an expert at everything and do it yourself. Can't trust engine shops, can't trust body shops, can't trust your tuner... lol
Chance EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 AM   #970
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
I feel like if you take the automotive hobby seriously now, unfortunately you pretty much do have to become an expert at everything and do it yourself. Can't trust engine shops, can't trust body shops, can't trust your tuner... lol
Seems to be they have other goals like money making, instead of listing to the demands of the customer. I had two of such companies in the boat. Trying next time a different one or doing the DIY thing? Depending on ones capabilities: work room, money, time.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:34 AM   #971
LotusElise
Lifetime Member

Quote:
I bit my tongue really hard and didn't say "you're the only paint shop I've ever known that can't color match."
Very nice phrase to know kb58...bit my tongue hard... . Beside that, these guys don't like to work. Are they overflooded by orders?

Markus
Old 02-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #972
libertymkiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
Very nice phrase to know kb58...bit my tongue hard... . Beside that, these guys don't like to work. Are they overflooded by orders?

Markus
In the US 98% of shops make their money with insurace claims/repairs. If you walk up asking for a full paint job willing to pay 4,000.00 they will turn you away. The exception being Maaco however they do not provide great quality.

01' MR2 K20 swap, crazy mods to come
libertymkiii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message