5th Gear slips out when accelerating - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 05-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
tallblondkid

Default 5th Gear slips out when accelerating

I rebuilt my transmission 6 years ago and added a TSX 6th gear to my 5spd EP3 tranny. I replaced a blown 2nd gear and any synchros that needed it.
Upon assembly, from the first time I drove it post rebuild, 5th gear would not stay in unless I was completely off the gas. As soon as I touch the gas it slips out.

It does not grind, just slips out. I have dealt with it for 6 years but now that the tranny is out, I want to fix it.

Does any one have any ideas?

I considered that I forgot to replace the ball and spring for the shift fork, but they are all there.

EDIT:

I have been told on H-T and CRSX to check/replace the 5th gear locking ring. would that be whats pictured here?

And here are the diagrams for the EP3 5spd, RSX-S, TSX. What part would I need to replace. Again, this is a 5spd EP trans with TSX 6th gear.
EP

TSX

RSX-S

Last edited by tallblondkid; 05-10-2017 at 01:14 PM..
tallblondkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
monjarasi
K20a.org Advanced User

Default Re: 5th Gear slips out when accelerating

I have the same problem now. On my recent built one. Lmk if u find the issue.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
tallblondkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by monjarasi View Post
I have the same problem now. On my recent built one. Lmk if u find the issue.
Someone responded to my thread on H-T suggesting to check the locking ring around the syncho. I should be able to crack the tranny open over the weekend and check it out. I'll let you know.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
tallblondkid

Updated OP with pictures and questions
Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
ba82ep32

Locking ring for sure. Check the wear of the detent balls on the ends of the forks. Check that the detent spring and ball channel in the case isn't clogged with pasty fluid and ground off synchro metals.

Replacing the synchro isn't required unless it doesn't meet specs. There is a thorough rebuild thread here, and one on EPHATCH that I wrote up (6 speed trans rebuild) that provides pics and specs. You can actually google it (k series 6 speed rebuild) and the thread is usually in the top 5 returns
ba82ep32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Adub

This a very good manual for k motors and trannys and everything else. Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT Making Comfortable
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/manual2.html
Adub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message