Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

LSThatch/Blacktyper01 Turbo V6 Hatch build

28K views 73 replies 33 participants last post by  jdmdomo 
#1 ·
Pardon the huge first post, just want to catch everyone up on the build thus far. Originally posted this on J32a.com:

I completed my first stock J32A2 swap in my brother's car a few years ago ... I posted a few pics of the cowl hood on j32a ... now it's our turn ;)

blacktyper01 and I have combined our efforts to produce a turbo v6 eg hatch. All work (fab, wiring, tuning, etc.) is done by either him or myself with some back up assistance by any extra hands that happen to stroll through the shop.

A little back story ...

car started it's life with us a few years ago when we fabricated/installed a built LS/VTEC turbo setup in it for a customer:
- 10pt cage
- 5pt harnesses
- battery relocation
- parachute mount
- dual Bosch 044 pumps
- Precision intercooler core with custom end tanks

the engine had a catastrophic failure at 40psi of boost and the owner sold the chassis and part of the turbo setup to us.

After the first few weeks we decided to install a bone stock J32A2 swap (M/T) and ended up with a best track pass of 12.53 @ 109.6mph at our local track.

Then we decided to install AEM but (since our local track closed down) we have been unable to run it. We changed over to an auto motor/harness and cleaned up the wiring a bit to ease the use of the plug-n-play EMS system (darn cam and crank sensors):

We also cut down the water neck and customized the radiator to make room for our future plans ;)

The idea was to see what we could get out of the car on the stock motor and AEM. However, being as impatient as we are (and that fact that our local track got closed down) we decided to just go ahead and turbo it ... here's the first teaser pic (the turbo's a bit heavy so, yes, we used a seat belt and engine hoist to hold it in place, lol):

We were thinking about custom fabricating an IM but, in the interest of time, we went with a port & polish of a stock A2 IM, plus port matching the inlet to a 75mm Edelbrock throttle body:

upper IM being all cleaned up ... we removed the butterfly system and sealed the EGR port too.

the beginnings of the turbo manifold:

Making the collectors:

Test fitting collector on manifold:

Turbo mounting bracket fab:

Catch can:

Fuel rails (-8 in, -6 out ... FIC 1000cc K-series injectors):

Front turbo manifold fab:

some more progress:

rear manifold:

-8an fuel supply line:

wastegates (2x Tial 44mm):

Should finish up oil feed line, downpipe, and hood tomorrow ... then we'll be taking it out for a spin ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
progress before the first drive:

downpipe:

hood cutting:

hood closing and completed setup:

Took care of all this yesterday ... got it started up on AEM and took it out for part-throttle tuning last night. Everything looks great besides an overheating issue caused by our puny fan ... SPAL 13" 1700cfm unit is on the way :up:

#3 ·
So, ... we threw a SPAL 13" 1700cfm unit on there and it's working flawlessly ... guess an extra 1050cfm did the trick, lol.

Took it out and street tuned it on 8psi ... runs great and has tons of torque!

Took it to the track this past Friday and did a couple 11.6 passes @ 121 mph with the clutch slipping or the tires (24.5x9" slicks) breaking loose the whole time.

This week's project ... competition clutch twin disc ;) ... more to follow

... No comments?

#6 ·
Well it's about time somebody replied! lol ... Thanks guys.

We are going to push the engine and transmission to their limits. I have a good feeling that 3.2L of displacement is going to make a hell of a lot of power ... ok maybe I mean torque ;)

#9 ·
We'll see how the heads and gaskets hold up on the 3.5L in the near future.

I have high confidence in them since they are the same MLS design as all 4 cylinder Honda head gaskets and the number of bolts/studs per cylinder is higher (2 2/3 vs. 2 1/2).

#12 ·
best video of a track pass (just me ... no one in other lane).

Just turn your head or screen sideways ;)

#18 ·
:wow::wow::wow::worship:it was spinning to the finish line:wow::wow::wow:

#19 ·
#22 ·
That goes to show what a nice clutch and a few more lbs of boost can do for ya, haha

#24 ·
Hit up the track again last night with slightly larger slicks (25x8.7" vs. 24.5x8"). Got 4 passes in ... First two were mid 10.7s, third was 10.4@136 fourth was 10.369 @ 138.83mph

This stock J is impressing me ... boost was 12psi

Next Wednesday we'll be turning it up and see where it takes us...

#26 ·
New PB ... 10.28@147.6mph

still on the stock motor ... traction sucks, might be trying a new set of slicks

#30 ·
Thanks! I know, parachute is coming soon.

Not sure about the whp/tq numbers. Hope to dyno it sometime this week

#33 ·
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Finally made it out to the dyno ...

Thanks to Charm City Tuning (Mike Sweeny) for the dyno time and plugs!

717whp@6950rpm
581wtq@6170rpm

Stock J32A2 (w/ ported/polished/flipped IM and 75mm TB)
Stock TL-S 6spd LSD trans
Stock axles
Cam2 110 octane leaded fuel
Boost: 20psi
Borg Warner S366 w/ 4" downpipe

My air fuels and EGTs were pretty solid for all 14 or so good pulls. I had to add a little fuel around 12psi. Started at 8psi and worked up to 20psi over 4-5 pulls. Once I made it to 20psi, motor was at 693whp/568wtq. Then added 2 degrees of timing to get to 707whp/???wtq. Finally ended with two back to back pulls with 2 more degrees of timing to get the numbers in the chart and 715whp in the second to last pull.

:D ... more track times this Friday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.