Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Eg Vs Ek Round 2 - Chasis Weight/Performance

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Import Al 
#1 ·
i understand that the Ek weights what about 200 pounds more the the EG in certain trim levels but i just bought my second EG since i crashed my first one in a deer accident...well i bought another but im serious this time in taking car of it. i was intersted in time attacks and auto-crossing since i first got my car (3 years ago)and the drag racing thing got out of me pretty fast...well point is i really want to compete in this competitions but i've thought twice about my EG...
1) i know the EG is less stiffer but can be fixed but well it be better then an EK modified to be stiffer too?

2)the EK k20 swap makes the engine lean to forward but can be leaned back by the cross member of an EG/DC, true?

3)Can the EG really out perform the EK? i mean all the corners and straights on the courses well be hard how can out last? or will the EG always be a step ahead?

thanks you guys for helping....im trying to get the last words in before i keep her for good...please explain why you chose the chasis...and for those who race autox or others please but your word in...if i comeup with anything else ill add

really
appreciate it guys

See less See more
#9 ·
It depends. If you are trying to do any sanctioned racing, there are weight limits either way. My ek (98 ex coupe) weighs 2497 with 1/2 tank and no driver. It has *FULL* interior w/spare and everything, so definately some weight could be saved.

If you have to get inspected, eg is obd1 which makes life easier.

If you go ek, you can get the hasport ekk2 kit which moves the motor further back and higher for better ground clearance.

if this is a daily driver, then the ek has better creature comforts

#8 ·
I think ive seen these videos before but from what i understand is that both are equal...but i want to see if anyone could anwser my questions above so i can get a better understanding....because in the end all we have is USDM hondas...the CTR in the video is way different then a USDM civic DX but not because of looks or engine wise but the way the CTR in japan was bulit...same goes for the EG....the CTR was bulit in a "seam welded monocoque chassis was used to improve chassis rigidity"...get what im trying to say above?

#11 ·
i love the ek, but if building a track purpose car the eg is lighter and by the time you cage it and do suspension, bushings, and normal track orientated mods it will just as stiff as a ek built with the same purpose. i think the eg is cool because you can use integra parts on them.you can swap knuckles to run the integra bigger brake plus the wheel bearing is a little bigger.but either way there both sexy.

#13 ·
Well, one piece of info you should consider a tiny bit is overall dimensional differences (wheelbase, track, height etc.)

These specs affect how the car drives. For the sake of discussion, lets compare an identical engine/coilover/tire setup on these two hatches: 94-95 Civic Si vs 2000 CX.

The Si's wheelbase is 1.8" shorter & its roofline is 3.4" lower, has a front stabilizer bar & was offered with 4-wheel disc ABS. This car should have better overall transitional handling and rotate the rear tires around better in tight corners.

The main technical advantages the 6G Civic CX I chose for comparsion has are torsional rigidity, curb weight & wheelbase; 31 lbs & 1.8" which would make this car accelerate slightly better and more stable at high speeds. But it has a worse drag coefficient so in higher speeds it would actually accelerate slower (.34ish.. can't remeber the exact # vs the Si's .31)

Also, the 6G can bolt up the EK9 Type-R suspension, which has the biggest sway bars, brakes, shock braces & hardest shocks/spring rates of ANY double-wishbone Civic. (1988-2000) The same can be done with DC Integra suspension parts to 92-95 Civics for much less money... & thats where I'd like to conclude, your budget.

You can build the same or better performing track car for less money with a 5G hatch vs a 6th gen, but the 6G has a few tech advantages that can be heightened to a level of performance beyond that of the 5th gen. I think Honda picked the overall "better" car to slap on the Type-R badge on for the first time.. Mr. Tsuchiya, can you demonstrate? :up: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQ4rp1w2Xs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.