Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

gt35r k20 swapped em2 build

29K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  Hogie 
#1 ·
Here is the updated version of my k20 turbo build thread.

Its a 2001 Civic LX 2dr Coupe, motor being swapped is a k20a2 from the rsx-s. For the turbo I went with a gt35r kit from peakboost, luckily I got my kit before the company went bankrupt and left a shit ton of people out of money and parts.

I am in the military and I am constantly doing training or some type of other bs. Between that and deployments to iraq, it makes it somewhat difficult to finish this build in a timely manner so deal with me on that one. I started this build on my two week leave from Iraq back in 2008..

Motor/Swap Parts:
HONDATA Kpro
ARP Headstuds
RBC Intake Manifold
SAMCO Radiator Hose Kit
KOYO OEM RSX Radiator
Hasport ESK1 Mounts
RSX Intermediate Shaft
RSX Clutch Lines
RSX Throttle Cable
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
Karcepts AC & PS Removal Kit
Greddy Oil Catch Can
PLX Wideband

Fuel System:
Walbro 255lph pump
Precision 1000cc Injectors w/ clips
Hybrid racing K-Series Fuel Rail
Aeromotive Pressure Regulator
Marshall Fuel Press Gauge
Gates Submersible Fuel Hose
Honda Resistor Box
Lots of fittings from Jegs for the fuel system

Transmission:
Driveshaft Shop Level 3.9 Axles
Competition Clutch Stage 5
Competition Clutch Flywheel

Turbo Parts:
Peakboost GT35R Turbo Kit
HONDATA Boost Control Solenoid
HONDATA 4 Bar MAP Sensor
Buddy Club Secu Turbo Timer
Summit Vaccum Hose
BLOX Vaccum Block

Gauges:
Prosport 52mm Premium Gauges
- Oil Temp
- Oil Press
- Fuel Press
- Water Temp
- Boost
Prosport Oil Filter Sandwich Adaptor for Oil Temp & Press

Accesories:
Honda Red Valve Cover
Technika CF Plug Wire Cover
Corsport Aluminum Shifter Bushings
NRG Hood Dampers
RSX-S Gauge Cluster
Strutking Pedals
Autopower Bolt-in Cage
Sparco Fighter Seat
Sparco Speed Seat

New Motor, wrapped up all pretty...

Blox Vacuum Block

Bolts and such for Sparco Harnesses

Vacuum Lines

Hondata Boost Control Solenoid

Hondata ECU

Very important part, Air Freshner lol

CF Engine Goodies

Tow hooks which I didnt end up using so I sold them.

Same thing with this Boost Controller...

Hood Dampers

Strut King Pedal Sets

Rsx-S Cluster

Resister Box for Injectors

Buddy Club Secu Timer (Turbo Timer)

Competition Clutch Stage 5

with Competition Clutch lightweight flywheel

Headstuds which I havnt gotten around to install yet

Shifter Base Bushings from Corsport

Fuel Lines & Fittings from Jegs

Prosport Gauges, Boost, Water, Oil temp, Oil Press

Oil sandwich adapter

Hybrid Racing Fuel Rail

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Precision 1000cc Injectors

Aeromotive FPR

Subframe

Clutch Lines and Throttle Cable

RBC Intake Manifold with Karcepts Adapter Plate

Type R Valve Cover

Drive Shaft Shop Level 3.9 Axles

Lug Nuts, Studs, Radiator Hoses, Catch Can

Hasport Motor Mounts

Karcepts AC & PS Delete Kit

RSX Radiator

See less See more
#2 ·
I started some of the build during my two weeks of R&R leave from Iraq. This is what I came home too. I think this was around June 2008.

ta-dah!

Engine Bay before the swap

Pile of parts/crap in the garage

New Motor, k20a2

Starting to install RBC, AC&PS Delet, Valve Cover

Then I installed the cage

Old Nitrous setup

and then the seats...

Then I had to go back to Iraq...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once I got back from Iraq, I finally got to start my swap. ~ February 2009

Starting to dissasemble

My friend let me borrow his hoist.

and boom, engine is out!

Empty Engine Bay

goodbye single cam...

side by side, the D series looks so tiny...

more crap starting to clutter the garage

Had to do sime modifying to the wiring harness, it was a pain in the ass...

flywheel action!

It was late at night and my friends took off for the day. So I took apart the fuel system and started all that goodnes...

The next day we dropped the k20 into the bay.

Then fitted the Radiator

Mounted FPR and ran all the fuel lines aswell

Axles are in

Hood dampers installed

Ran all the wiring and installed my gauges as well

My awesome trunk setup lol

Got my bumpers back from getting painted

But then my leave came to an end. I had done all I could do with the parts that I had, and I had to get back up to WA. So I loaded everything up, and strapped the civic on a uhaul and started my roadtrip.

#3 ·
A few weeks after I got back up to WA the turbo goods finally showed up.

3" downpipe, this thing is massive

wastegate dump tube

gt35r

better picture for size comparison

intercooler piping for the rsx, which i had to modify to fit the em2

somehow i ended up with the wrong intercooler at first, but PWR fixed the problem and sent me the right one.

This was before I had a house in WA and I was living in the Army barracks. So i had no garage, and if you have ever been to WA you know that it is constantly raining up there so my chance to work on the car everyday was pretty slim. Waited for a decent day, then went outside and started installing some parts.

Intercooler and piping wouldnt fit behind the stock bumper. Had to get rid of my foglights which I just installed a couple months ago. Took out the trusty angle grinder and got to work... in my kitchen lol.

Still needs a little work but its a start.

Then my friend was nice enough to let me borrow his garage, so i could tap my oil pan. You can see the beatiful WA weather outside...

Oil pan out, dont have any pictures of the finished product. It was around 2 am when I got done and i didnt give a shit about taking pictures at that point.

Also installed my hood pins while i was there.

One of my friends supras.

and another 2jz for the datsun that they have sitting outside...

and their other supra(1jz in this one) i guess he didnt tighten the lug nuts all the way and his wheel came off while driving down the street.

Got my exhaust piping welded together. I love the sleeper look of the vibrant muffler

Got the intercooler piping adjusted to fit. Dont mind the ugly welds, I had a friend hook me up and fixed them afterwards. They look 100% better now.

I definitely need sides and a rear lip to balance everything out. Look goofy with just the front lip. That front lip broke probably a week after that picture, shitty plastic one. So i got a poly lip afterwards and have had no problems with that one.

Then I started this never ending tuning process.

I was having problems with my O2 sensor not reading anything. After weeks of troubleshooting I gave up and just bought a PLX Wideband to bypass the stock unit. Then I figured out I had the pinout diagram backwards and had the stock sensor installed in the wrong plug lol.

After the O2 sensor issue, I was having cam angle problems. So i needed to get a new VTC solenoid. But at this point I was about to deploy again so I had to pack everything up and put my car back into storage.

I had a video of it up on my youtube but I swapped accounts and the video is gone. Trying to re-upload on this shitty internet out here is impossible so ill wait to post some better ones up when I get back.

Last picture before storage. I got the 5zigen fn01rc off a fellow 7thgen member up here in WA, he was letting them go for cheap. The intercooler piping has been painted black too, so no more silver stripe on that either.

Then I went back to Iraq, again....

#10 ·
Thanks man, I just saw your build too. Cant wait to see yours come together!

Nice build man, Seen someone was wearing a KU hat. Rock on you from kansas?
Thats my friend wearing the hat. Im originally from KCMO.

wow dude, that was an intense build thread. i really like what you did with the car. really on point! can't wait to see the final numbers when it's done. that is gnarly! car looks really good :up: :)
Thanks! I cant wait to get this thing finished and see the numbers myself!

Damn dude car looks dope... I love in Washington also... About 1hr south from Tacoma... I have a k20 turbo Ek ... There are a few k swapped cars down here... We might have to meet up when u get back.. Get a few k20a.org Washington members and go for a drive
Awesome, well definitely have to meet up when I get up and running. Ill be coming back from Iraq in about two weeks. Is there a WA regional forum on here?

Car looks super good, man. I'm doing a 35R K20a2 in my EK right now.
That should be a beast! I cant imagine the same power in that little chassis :wow:

#7 ·
wow dude, that was an intense build thread. i really like what you did with the car. really on point! can't wait to see the final numbers when it's done. that is gnarly! car looks really good :up: :)

#8 ·
Damn dude car looks dope... I love in Washington also... About 1hr south from Tacoma... I have a k20 turbo Ek ... There are a few k swapped cars down here... We might have to meet up when u get back.. Get a few k20a.org Washington members and go for a drive

#12 ·
Clean and done right:up: Keep it up sir.. Not a fan of EM2's but really digging this one.

#25 ·
really clean car- motor looks brand new? i have the same exhaust on my ep

hate to say it though- for convienence sake while you had the trans apart you could of swapped in a LSD... one wheel peeling all day with that type of boost lol

#27 ·
Thanks. The motor was used, they just cleaned it up really good lol.

I thought about that, but never got around to it. Im still kicking my ass for not cleaning up the engine bay while the motor was out too :mad: But im working on getting a 5 speed together to replace the 6 speed whenever it blows up.

Sick build man!:up:

#28 ·
Time for a long awaited update....

Sorry for the shitty pictures, didnt have time to go grab my camera.

Got settled into my new house, then went and picked up my car out of storage.

Had to get some fresh tires for my new/old wheels.

Also put on some 20mm spacers.

The new tires where a bit smaller than the old ones, 45's vs 55's. So I had a bit of wheel gap.

So I gave it some more lowz. As low as the Tein SS go in the front and about an inch up from lowest in the rear.

Put in a bigger steering wheel. I dont have power steering so it was a pain in the ass to drive with the old tiny steering wheel.

Then I installed this important little part.

All installed and good to go.

Then I took it out and started tuning.

Started on low cam tables yesterday and finished them today. Then I got two runs in on high cam 0* but then it started sprinkling so I had to call it a day.

So far its putting down 437hp @ 7942rpm only on 0 cam, should have no problem hitting 500hp once all the maps are complete and put together.

#29 ·
wow! love seeing more progress on this car :) looks really good! is that the Sparco 345 wheel by chance?

#33 ·
ah pretty damn close to the 345 lol. which is the wheel i want. so i'm glad i got to see yours in there as a reference. looks good btw :) how you like it?

#35 ·
haha i also have no ps. so a bigger wheel is a must for me too. is it a really deep wheel? also what hub do you have?

#37 ·
ah right on. i really like that wheel. simple, clean, nothing too flashy. thanks man! :up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.