Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Engine Harness "How to" Finally revealed! For Auto/manual and True manual setups.

67K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  hondamastermonster 
#1 ·
Engine Harness "How to" Finally revealed! For Auto/manual and True manual setups.

Ok since alot of people want to keep this info hush hush or what not. I have done countless hours of research and looked up on many forum and manuals etc. There are some people who are helpful and some who are not. I am putting this together to help the ease of J swaps in the future.

hopefully i covered the jist of what needed to wire up the J32a2. if i did not please feel free to correct me. Also hopefully this gets stickied! :D

Please if you use this info, Please give credit to me "EJ32A, FerioEK247" aka Anthony L., for doing all this research and etc. Also credit to TwistedImage aka Chad for confirming shock tower wiring, C131 wiring from his Auto to manual swap.

Anyways this "how to" will cover

1. C131 Plug - green plug: located by passenger kick. it helps run some function to the cluster

2. Civic C101, and Acura C101 & C102 Shock tower plugs: wiring conversion

3. Auto J series engines "A" plug for ECU wiring

4. Manual J series engine "E" Plug for ECU wiring

5. Secondary O2 sensor wiring "buy a female plug end and run extra wires to reach 2nd o2 sensor."

6. CL type S cluster: wiring "optional WIP"

Somethings are optional, but this is pretty much all you have to hook up to get it fired up and running...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tid bit: 96-98 engine harness is one piece that comes with green plug. But 99-00 the green plug is separate. which need to be wired up. if your like me, and have one car. goto the junk yard and pick up a male end plug off a civic from 96-00 from the interior.

"A" auto ECU and "E" manual ECU plugs are 90% same as for wiring up to the C131 plug and ECU. So all you have to do is wire the C131 to the

1. C131 green plug - located at the passenger side kick panel. It wires up to the main interior harness which as well to the cluster. "Thanks to TwistedImage for confirming my wiring"

There are only 8 wires the need to be wired up. From the "A" auto ecu plug, and the "E" plug Manual.

below is "A", "E", and C131 Pinouts

J32a2 ECU "E" plug Pin outs

J32a2 ECU "A" Plug Pin outs

Civic C131 Plug Pin outs

ok use the pictures above for reference and wiring up your "E" or "A" plug to the C131 green interior plug.

"HOW TO" wires need to C131 wiring.
C131 green plug Civic, goes to "E" Plug/ "A" Plug

Pins-------Color-------Description
6-----------Green---------Fan Control "tap in-between "A" or "E" plug and C131 to Tempsensor green wire"
8-----------Green/Orange---------MIL "Malfunction Indicator lamp"
9-----------Brown---------Service Check Signal "For DLC"
16---------Green/Red---------ELD "Electrical Load Detector"
17---------Green/White---------BSWS Brake switch signal
18---------Blue/White---------VSSout Vehical Speed sensor output
20---------Green/Yellow---------Fuel Pump Relay
21---------Blue/White---------K-line "for DLC"

that should all be needed to wired the C131 green plug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Sock tower plugs: Converting CL C101 & C102 plugs to civic and so forth. "Thanks to TwistedImage for confirming my wiring"

CL C101 & C102 plug pin out

C101

C102

Civic C101

-it is quite simple, to hook up. follow the steps below, then voila!

"HOW TO" Shock tower wiring

- Merge all Black/Yellow wires together
-2 off civic plug
-2 off CL engine harness
tip
- Cut both C101 and C102 plugs off CL Engine Harness, and extend 7-8 inches to reach the Civic/integra female end shock plug.

90% of wiring match up.

Civic C101 plug Cl type-S C101 and C102 plugs

Pin-----Color----------------Descripton----------------connects to

10-----Black/Yellow--------Ignition 1----------------Merge to all black/yellow wiring to single wire
9-----Black/white-----------Starter signal----------------C101 10 pin plug, pin 9 "black/white"
8-----Blue------------------- RPM/Tach----------------Run extra wire all the way to the ECU "E" or "A" plug to BLUE "NEP"
7-----Yellow/Green--------Temp Gauge----------------"not used"
6-----White/Blue-----------Charging system light----------------C102 14 pin plug, Pin 14 "white/blue"
5-----Yellow Black----------PGM-FI?----------------C101 10 pin plug, pin 7 "Yellow/Black"
4-----Brown/Black----------ECU Ground/logic ground----------------C102 14 pin plug, Pin 5 "Brown/Yellow"
3-----Yellow/Red-----------Oil Pressure light----------------C102 14 pin plug, pin 1 "Yellow/Red"
2-----Black-------------------Chasis Ground----------------C101 10 pin plug, pin 5 "Black
1-----Black/Yellow---------Ignition 1----------------Merge to all black/yellow wiring to single wire

there will be a lot of left over wires from CL harness which is not used. so mask or wrap off.

-CL C101, Fan Control "green" wire runs extra wire to Thermostat plug "tap into green wire".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Auto J series engines "A" plug for ECU wiring

pin outs and descriptions
"A" plug MT that needs to be wired up

Pin-----color-----Description----------------------------------where it goes

15------Green/Yellow-----Fuel pump relay/IMMOFPR-----C131 plug, pin 20, Green/Yellow
8------Black/white-----Secondary o2 sensor Control-----Need extra Male/female plug and extend to catalytic converter
19------Blue-----NEP/RPM "engine speed pulse -----Runs extra wires to Shock tower Plug Civic C101
18------Green/Orange-----MIL malfunction indicator lamp----- C131 plug, pin 8, Green/orange
24------Blue/orange-----STSW Starter switch signal ----- Run extra wire to Fuse 30, under driver side dash "starter switch signal"
32------white/black-----Brake switch signal ----- C131 plug, pin 17, Green/white
17------Red-----AC clutch relay "optional"
10------Brown-----Service check signal "DLC" -----C131 plug, pin 21, brown
1-------white/red-----Secondary o2 sensor 2 -----Need extra Male/female plug and extend to catalytic converter
30------Green/red-----ELD electrical load detector C131 plug, pin 16, green/red
26-------Green-----Power steering pressure switch "optional" -----runs to power steering high pressure line
27-------Blue/red-----AC switch signal "optional"
9---------Blue/white-----VSS vehicle speed sensor out -----C131 plug, pin 18, blue/white
21--------Grey-----K-line "DLC" -----C131 plug, pin 21, blue/white
29--------light green-----Fuel tank pressure sensor
12--------Pink-----Immobilizer light -----runs extra wire to Cluster
13--------Blue-----Immobilizer Enable signal -----runs to ignition by key "same color wires"
25--------RED-----Immobilizer Code -----runs to ignition by key "same color wires"
20------Green-----Fan control -----C131 plug, pin 6, green

tip

-when wiring immobilizer, the last remaining wire is

black/white - Connects to "A" plug sG1 "sensor ground"
brown/yellow - Connects to "A" plug LG1 "logic ground".

Optional for emissions

96-00? Civic FTP and EVAP Bypass solenoid valve
EVAP canister vent shut valve

[/CENTER]
"A plug"
4 - Light green/white - VSV Evaporative emission (EVAP) Canister vent shut valve
3 - Blue - 2WBS Evaporative emission (EVAP) bypass solenoid valve
29 - light green - FTP Fuel tank pressure sensor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Manual J series engines "E" plug for ECU wiring

"E" plug MT that needs to be wired up

Pin-----color-----Description-----where it goes

1-----Green/Yellow-----Fuel pump relay/IMMOFPR-----C131 plug, pin 20, Green/Yellow
2-----Black/white-----Secondary o2 sensor Control -----Need extra Male/female plug and extend to catalytic converter
3-----Blue-----NEP/RPM "engine speed pulse-----Runs extra wires to Shock tower Plug Civic C101
4-----Green/Orange-----MIL malfunction indicator lamp-----C131 plug, pin 8, Green/orange
9-----white/black-----Brake switch signal-----C131 plug, pin 17, Green/white
12-----Red-----AC clutch relay "optional"
13-----Green-----Fan Control-----C131 plug, pin 6, green
14-----Yellow/green-----ECT Engine coolant temp-----Run extra wire to cluster
15-----white------Reverse lock out-------run extra wire to solenoid by tranny shifter. white and black wires. tap into white wire.
16-----Brown-----Service check signal "DLC"-----C131 plug, pin 21, brown
18-----white/red-----Secondary o2 sensor 2-----Need extra Male/female plug and extend to catalyic converter
19-----Green/red-----ELD electrical load detector-----131 plug, pin 16, green/red
20-----Green-----Power steering pressure switch "optional"-----runs to power steering high pressure line
21-----Blue/red-----AC switch signal "optional"
26-----Blue/white-----VSS vehicle speed sensor out-----C131 plug, pin 18, blue/white or straight to Cluster VSSin "CL-s cluster"
27-----Grey-----K-line "DLC"-----C131 plug, pin 21, blue/white
28-----light green-----Fuel tank pressure sensor
29-----Pink/white-----Immobilizer light-----runs extra wire to Cluster
30-----Blue/white-----Immobilizer Enable signal-----runs to ignition by key "same color wires"
31-----RED-----Immobilizer Code -----runs to ignition by key "same color wires"

tip

-when wiring immobilizer, the last remaining wire is

black/white - Connects to "A" plug sG1 "sensor ground"
brown/yellow - Connects to "A" plug LG1 "logic ground"

Optional for emissions

96-00? Civic FTP and EVAP Bypass solenoid valve
EVAP canister vent shut valve

"E plug"
22 - Light green/white - VSV Evaporative emission (EVAP) Canister vent shut valve
23 - Blue - 2WBS Evaporative emission (EVAP) bypass solenoid valve
28 - Light green - FTP Fuel tank pressure sensor

so instead of spending $550+ do yourself it for free!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps will post CL-s Cluster wiring to civic a bit later after i work more tweaks out. Enjoy

also here is a video of it running.

My J32a2 civic hatch Video, click image to watch

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow !!! Really???? Peice of crap

WOW !!! REALLY???? PEICE OF CRAP
you are a real piece of work, you call my shop to find out what you need for the swap to

happen . Then you continue calling us asking tons of questions on wiring and mechanical

installation of the swap . I gave you my time and most of the info for FREE!! what other

company is going to even spend the time to do half the stuff I do?
but because you want to be cheap then you insult me offering $50.00 to give you the

answer . This was a complete slap in the face. here is the best part of it all you took

pic i put up for free and you post them like they are your own! you were not even smart

enough to change the name of the file that you re-posted on the site Just copy and

pasted my pictures.

you really have a big set of balls to do something like that. In the world of this up

and coming J swap i have put a lot of info and time out there for free, way over 90%.

Anyone that has called my shop or drove here , i have gave time to help . All I ask is a

little 10% for my time and energy to keep things going. I respect and love people that

are REAL DIY's unlike you who is a GMA" gimme me answers".

Don
RPM SYSTEMS

To: mad@go-rpm.com
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 1:14 AM
Subject: wiring harness

How much to get my civic ek harness to full manual 2003 CL type s converted with

butterflies and CL cluster hooked up?

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:44:46 -0700
Subject: Re: wiring harness
To: anthony_q_le@hotmail.com

When I spoke to you on the phone I told you that you have to send a complete D or B

series harness and a complete J series engine harness and the cover letter with your

return address, the shell you are using, the motor and tranny combination and in your

case if you want the module wired in just also send the butterfly control module and Our

harnesses are $550 which includes shipping in the united states. If you would like the

butterflies to work just send us the butterfly control module. As far as the clusters

go have you ever taken a cluster out of a 96-2000 civic? It has a ribbon cable coming

out of the cluster so there is no adapter you actually have to cut and splice every wire

while you are in the car. The CL cluster has physical wires coming out of it. Hope

this helps!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:10 PM

Im going to try and wire mine up myself. If all else fails ill send you the harness.

As far as I can understand, I would need to wire in an "A" plug for the ecu. Kid of like

a jumper harness correct? Also for wiring the cl cluster to work in a civic, all I have

to do is repin the civic cluster harness to cl correct?

I appreciate your time to answer my questions.

Anthony Le

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:59 AM
TO: mad@go-rpm.com

Hi Don
how are you? i hope you week is going awesome! As for me im just tieing up the

remainding wiring.
i have a few more questions,that i need answered or confirmed on where the wires go. If

you can answer these and or comfirm.
i would be gladly to donate $50 for your time to your paypal. i have attached a notepad

in the email. i really do appreciate it very much. I hope to get this swapped in this

week starting this monday.

Anthony L.

#4 ·
Re: Wow !!! Really???? Peice of crap

WOW !!! REALLY???? PEICE OF CRAP
you are a real piece of work, you call my shop to find out what you need for the swap to

happen . Then you continue calling us asking tons of questions on wiring and mechanical

installation of the swap . I gave you my time and most of the info for FREE!! what other

company is going to even spend the time to do half the stuff I do?
but because you want to be cheap then you insult me offering $50.00 to give you the

answer . This was a complete slap in the face. here is the best part of it all you took

pic i put up for free and you post them like they are your own! you were not even smart

enough to change the name of the file that you re-posted on the site Just copy and

pasted my pictures.

you really have a big set of balls to do something like that. In the world of this up

and coming J swap i have put a lot of info and time out there for free, way over 90%.

Anyone that has called my shop or drove here , i have gave time to help . All I ask is a

little 10% for my time and energy to keep things going. I respect and love people that

are REAL DIY's unlike you who is a GMA" gimme me answers".

Don
RPM SYSTEMS

Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 1:14 AM
Subject: wiring harness

How much to get my civic ek harness to full manual 2003 CL type s converted with

butterflies and CL cluster hooked up?

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:44:46 -0700
Subject: Re: wiring harness
To: anthony_q_le@hotmail.com

When I spoke to you on the phone I told you that you have to send a complete D or B

series harness and a complete J series engine harness and the cover letter with your

return address, the shell you are using, the motor and tranny combination and in your

case if you want the module wired in just also send the butterfly control module and Our

harnesses are $550 which includes shipping in the united states. If you would like the

butterflies to work just send us the butterfly control module. As far as the clusters

go have you ever taken a cluster out of a 96-2000 civic? It has a ribbon cable coming

out of the cluster so there is no adapter you actually have to cut and splice every wire

while you are in the car. The CL cluster has physical wires coming out of it. Hope

this helps!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:10 PM

Im going to try and wire mine up myself. If all else fails ill send you the harness.

As far as I can understand, I would need to wire in an "A" plug for the ecu. Kid of like

a jumper harness correct? Also for wiring the cl cluster to work in a civic, all I have

to do is repin the civic cluster harness to cl correct?

I appreciate your time to answer my questions.

Anthony Le

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:59 AM
TO: mad@go-rpm.com

Hi Don
how are you? i hope you week is going awesome! As for me im just tieing up the

remainding wiring.
i have a few more questions,that i need answered or confirmed on where the wires go. If

you can answer these and or comfirm.
i would be gladly to donate $50 for your time to your paypal. i have attached a notepad

in the email. i really do appreciate it very much. I hope to get this swapped in this

week starting this monday.

Anthony L.
yeah, i admit asking you question, but rare answer from you. i was being nice and was going to give donation of your time. but you wanted to be an ass about helping me and other. i had nothing against you until you started to insult me and other of j swap community. I treated people with respect, and you lost mine with your attitude.

lol dont even try to seem like you help me alot. you gave me weird as answers, and there really not your info. it is Honda/Acura's, even if you posted info. anyone could of done so. Don your still a dick when it come to helping people out. people ask simple question and you put them down and shun them.

i only claim in figuring it out myself and the wiring. which you did not help me on. so stfu, and quit crying online. especially when you lost your composure on j32a http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=1940&page=3.

apparently a lot of people agree that your attitude, and your hush hushiness is not all that great, and hurting the j32a community. so don't get all but hurt when the info is finally out and for "FREE".

So all in all, grow up and treat other the way you like to be treated... get real man!

#5 ·
Re: Engine Harness "How to" Finally revealed! For Auto/manual and True manual setups.

Just putting my 2 cents in, ej32a should not get any credit.

I know Don very well, with out him Anthony you would still be holding you d**k in you hand not knowing what to do.

You truly are a sour loser.

#6 ·
Re: Engine Harness "How to" Finally revealed! For Auto/manual and True manual setups.

ej32a....please dude. You already were one of the sole culprits contributing to Don's departure on J32a. At least have the decency to let him stay here. Don't start this same stuff over here. If you have an issue, take it up with Don himself. Publicizing your issues, unless they were of monetary value and he took your money and ran, please "hush" about this. I commend you (on some level) for doing a lot of research, but then you took one of Don's posts about wiring (FYI, I'm pretty sure that is considered "help" from Don) and made it look like your own? Come on bro. :facepalm:

#15 ·
what is the 411?

the whole thing is about me . which i was not . i own a shop that makes harness for all type of engines. well i have found a way to make J swap's pass inspection and full functional . as well as plug and play , no cutting of wires. i was helping out the site get this type of swap a push in the right direction . as a shop owner i should not give free info out . well the person took my kindness as a weakness and played me . i charged 550.00 shipped for a full P&P harness with all working gauges . the person told me it was to much and he will figure out himself . which is fine my me . here were the problem start . the person was call me asking what wires went where . i gave hits . it seems to many. i stopped helping the person , then he offered me 50.00 bucks to give him the rest of the info . i told me to piss off. so out of spit the person posted then info up. it got to me a little . what happen next put the icing on the cake. the person took the my info from another site and posted all over like it is his . that is when i lost it. the guy was not even smart enough to change the file name . wow!! so i have took all my free stuff off alot sites .

this should give you insight of what is going on. i not upset that this person posted the stuff , but claimed it as his own.

#13 ·

looking over athony lee's work more closely it is about 95% correct . with this design look it over before you do it . there things he missed . and with the wiring the car will still have a MIL light come on . it should work and drive the engine .

#16 ·
Yes, most people will just pay to get the wiring right. What a bitch to do all this wiring and in the end if it doesn't work you have no idea what to check first LOL

If you think you can write a better guide, we will stick it on the jseries forum and have a permanent plug for your shop for free. Then we would take this one down. The Guy who posted this thread IA probably not a bad Guy either, just really young probably thinking he will make the history books.

I was reading a thread on honda tech today where some dude tested 4 different replica headers vs the skunk one. What a damn shame where this.import scene is headed. We really try to be different on k20a.org but sometimes it can be a hard call. In this case here, most people would just buy a harness. People hate wiring in general

#17 ·

SHOOT!!! i solved these answers back in late of 2008. the little bit of money i made and i mean LITTLE . i use money that comes in to come up with new ideas and concepts . i have had people try to make knock-offs of the design i came up with. what i know of there about 5 to 6 shop that make harness of this swap . i was on of the first to make it work with 96 and new cars and pass inspection in NY. now have working it to pass CARB Law in Cally.

#18 ·

Don, I wish you and your shop well. As you are now, I hope you will continue to poke your head around these parts (both K20 J section and J32a). I can't believe he didn't give you credit for ANY of this. :facepalm:

Any updates on your ECU? :up:

#19 ·
wow turned into a sticky

Don, I wish you and your shop well. As you are now, I hope you will continue to poke your head around these parts (both K20 J section and J32a). I can't believe he didn't give you credit for ANY of this. :facepalm:

Any updates on your ECU? :up:
i was just told today this thread was turn into a sticky. well it all right . sticky is off b20vtec HAHAHAHA ...now just a couple more sites and it will all gone. just like the guy that stated this post . nowhere to be found ...HEHE.

on a second note found a American company finally to start making the ecu's . working out the contracts and samples boards. will keep you up to date when it is soon to come out.

Question for the group " how many have try HIS design and got it to work perfect?"

#22 ·

I can vouch for Don. I have spent hours with him on the phone going over stuff for my J. He is more then willing to help anyone and also spent tons of time on the phone with the guy who originally put my swap together in his Prelude, Rich. THis is a damn shame to be honest and this thread should be deleted or Don should take Niko's advice and rewrite this thread so that the credit can be placed where it belongs and the info can be right instead of half ass. Shame on TS..

Remember this Don?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.