Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

ITB's Pros and Cons ** Daily Driver**

60K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Bossman 
#1 ·
looking to build a motor for my soon k swap fit
deciding if i should go turbo, Super charged, or ITB all motor
problem with turbo is i don't have enough room to run a bigger FMIC to get the HP i wanted from boost, as i have jdm conversion which leaves no room in the front.

SuperCharger is another option,

but ITB seems balling !....
but what are the pros and cons of driving it through snow, rain, dust, sand, salt ?? i mean it's gonna be under the hood, and hopefully i can get a condom filter for the itb.....will i have any other issues running itb on a street car ?
do i also need a completely build high compression motor to see gains with itb?? will i see gains from just bolting it to a stock k24a2 ?

thanks

#2 ·
pro's= mad powa :dance:

con's= daily tuning, ITB's possibly sucking in foreign objects

if you want to go all motor and daily drive look at the center throttle body manifolds, either custom or Hayward Manifold, IPS Manifold, Excessive manifold

pro's=mad powa :dance:

hope that helps

#3 ·
yes you will see gains on a stock motor, an more with a built motor obviously

and if your gonna daily definitely run a filter

only problem i see is tuning, you would need to have them tuned really well for perfect driveability and sometimes weather can effect the way they act, so in cold weather you might need to adjust the tune a little to keep up the driveability

other then that they should be perfectly fine

#6 ·
I vote against ITB's on a daily driver. you will most likely lose valuable low & mid-range power. not too mention you'll lose driveablity. you'd also have to fab a custom plenum (which could reduce any top end gains) or run filters on each stack. ITB's tend to shift the power curve up in the RPM range - only some ITB's will provide actual gains & they need to be custom tailored (runner length & diameter) for your particular setup

#8 ·
You can put a filter on your ITBs just like any other manifold and they will be fine. Midgets run in all sorts of dust and dirt and it is all filtered before going into the injection. Their injectors are right next to the ground where all the dust is. Not a big deal at all.
You can also run box or plenum over them in the bad winter months.

Aside from the power, they sound incredible and look freakin sweet.

#9 ·
you forgot the best part...you have FOUR holes to suck hapless birds into instead of one.:up::up::D

#13 ·
There is a problem with flowing manifolds...it is useless data with the plenum on. Basically you can cut the plenum off and then flow the runner, but that doesn't tell you much about the manifold.

Just an example, someone we know flowed their head with ITBs and with an IPS manifold. The head lost 10+ cfm with the ITBs on the head (i can't remember the exact number) and only 3 or so CFM with the manifold. So naturally they went with the manifold, and made good power. A few weeks ago they switched to a set of properly sized ITBs and the car picked up 20-30hp throughout the entire powerband. A flow bench is a good tool, but it isn't the end all be all.

#12 ·
I thought fit's had alot of room at the front and above the engine...but maybe I'm wrong.Either way,it's well worth it which ever way you go.

#14 ·
Great example. There is also tests were the ips manifold is making 40whp more than itbs at 9000 rpm. But you see, itbs is a generic term whether they are twms or hayward, but IPS manifold is not that generic. Depending on the powerband and cams and motor in general, it really depends. As a head porter in training you should know this already.
ITBs are more sensitive to engine changes than manifolds are. Most street cars do not make more power with itbs than a ported RBC for example. But they do look badass and sound great.
On the dyno I did witness and easy 25whp gain after 8000 rpm when using the ips manifold vs RBC. Your attempt to throw a small jab is noted though, good luck selling more ITBs :p

#17 ·
Luke, maybe I was just excited after touching the Spintron a few days ago and seeing the delta curve on the computer 10k rpm.

A jab whether its on purpose or by accident is still a jab, and technical information with some jabs here and there is fine. We don't want to be like clubrsx or honda tech.

Itbs are great and are used in some of the greatest cars ever made. In the quest for all mighty power, people tend to forget about the midrange and focus solely on the thing that sells, and most often that is peak power.

So do ITBs help midrange overall or hurt it?

#18 ·
I have wondered what the best ITB setup would be for a road racing car with mid-range power in mind. I am seriously in the quest to build a motor with a stout power-band and not really all the interested in the top end hp like most.

I'm guessing i should just look into running a decent intake manifold like the RRC or possibly Skunk2.

The only other advantage you get with ITBs is instantaneous throttle response.

#19 ·
think about this for a second..is that throttle response going to compensate for the midrange of ITB's?I don't personally THINK that the engine getting on power a split second earlier is going to make much of a difference when compared to an engine that make 5-10 more hp from the low to midrange.Having a good midrange is a bit more useful than lightening fast throttle response to your average recreational hot lapper.

#22 ·
The simple answer is honestly,with a K24 you probably would be better off with ITB's being that you will still have a pretty good midrange due to the displacment...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.