Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

K24a2 head or K20a2 head on K24a1 Block??

36K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Scourge 
#1 ·
My main question is whether or not the TSX(k24a2) head will just bolt up to a CRV(k24a1) block and work? any modifications? I plan to use either an RBC IM or RRC IM along with kpro with this. I just want to make sure that there isn't anything extra that I need or need to do before I start looking for one (while I save up money for it).

If I found a bare TSX head,with it being similar to the K20a2 head, would the k20a2 valve train work in it (TSX head).

I've searched the following but didn't see anything....
diy|faq ☆★☆★☆★☆★ diy|faq ★☆★☆★☆★☆ diy|faq
k24 block with k20a2 head It's talking about the TSX motor not the CRV motor.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Yes it will work just fine. You can use it. If you're getting the head for a pretty good price, go for it..

#7 ·
i have a question to add to this. are there any compression differences when using a k20a2 head on a k24 block rather than the k24a2 head on a k24 block? reason is because i saw some pistons made specifically for a k24 and some for k20/k24 engine.

#8 ·
The head cc will be very close to the same size.

The K20 pistons are spec'd for the 86mm crank, and require a much larger dome to attain the higher compression ratio.

So, if you put 88mm K20 12.5:1 pistons in a K24, it would shoot the compression up towards 14:1. Understand?

#9 ·
what if for example: wiseco have a set of 11.1 pistons for a k24 and i wanna use that on a k20/k24 build, will the compression go down since ill be using a k20 head instead of a full k24 or will it only go down if i use on a full k20 engine? thats where im lost.

#10 ·
I recently bought a k24a2 head complete off of eBay for a very good price. I am in touch with King Motorsports on this build and Mike informed me that my K24a2 head is crap compared to the K20a2 in terms of flow.

My question is, with the price I paid for the TSX head-- extremely cheap-- is it even worth it for me to go over to a complete type-s head and have that inspected and have imperfections all machined out? I'm aiming for 250 whp for a reliable daily.

#11 ·
If you want to use the TSX head, hit up 4 piston for their PRO TSX CNC head, perfect for street motors :up:

In stock form, the TSX head is a waste of time and the K20A2/K20Z1/K20Z3 head will be a lot more beneficial.

What are the rest of your motor specs?

#15 ·
For a simple build, "crap" is an exaggeration.

Here's a good thread about the difference between the best OE head (RSP) and the K24A2 head. First page has a dyno compare. A K20A2 is somewhere in between (closer to the RSP).

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107797

And if you look through the stickied DIY FAQ, you'll find a nice flow chart that Luke @ 4Piston ("Drag") put up with all the OE heads.

#20 ·
So the k24a2 head will fit on with no modification to my k24a1 crv, however I should get an aftermarket one instead of one used in a tsx? Also does anyone know for sure that the rsx type s oil pump will bolt on with no mods as well? I've heard it will but haven't read anything confirming it

#21 · (Edited)
So the k24a2 head will fit on with no modification to my k24a1 crv, however I should get an aftermarket one instead of one used in a tsx?
Not sure what aftermarket part you are talking about for the a2 head on the a1 block. Did you mean aftermarket head? :S
If you're talking about head studs then new OEM head studs are fine. You can spend the extra and get ARP if you like.

As for the type s oil pump, yes it will bolt on. However, you'll need to grind down a part of it so it can clear the girdle of the block as it will not sit flat without modification.

#22 · (Edited)
Both will bolt onto the K24A1 block but the K20A2 head is more like the CRV head than the K24A2.

With a K24A2, you should get the coolant diverter (partition thingy). You'll need a TSX head gasket (changes to water channels). The side of the head is also different. The intake ports will however let you use an unmodified RBC intake manifold.

With a K20A2 head, same head gasket as CRV, same external head design. The intake side still uses that non-integrated water port. If you use the RBC intake, you'd need to cut that section out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.