Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

S2000 push button start...dash install

28K views 79 replies 22 participants last post by  xander 
#1 · (Edited)
At the risk of coming off like "Johnny half project" with all my other ongoing projects, I wanted to share another project I'm working on.

This will be a S2000 install into a 2001-2005 civic center console. I deleted the climate controls so I will be installing some gauges and a push start on the left hand side. The top vents and lower 3 holes will be "deleted" with fiberglass...the hazard button will remain in the same spot:

These three holes will be glassed over:

I bought some Stack electric gauges...oil pressure and water temp...that will be placed in the top two holes. The push button start will go in the lower hole:

The Bondo "bumper repair kit" has the absolute best plastic epoxy I have ever used...this shit absolutely will not let go:up:. I got the push button start for like $35 bucks online (sorry Ryan, I should have bought from you:rolleyes:). My dumb luck, I happened to find a piece of black plastic pipe that fits the push button start like virgin puss and it also has a lip that will allow me to epoxy it to the center console. The wire mesh will be cut into strips to reinforce the epoxy.

This is a rough idea how the start button will look:

I sanded the bonding areas with 40 grit sand paper so the epoxy could really bite into the plastic...then got to work:

And I had to whore this pic out again...the center console will sit in my custom carbon fiber dash:heart::heart::heart:...the vents were also deleted from the dash:

After the epoxy dried:

And here is how I will mold the front....felt is stretched across the surface:

And then I will brush resin across the surface:

I'm just waiting on the gauges because I need to see how much I will have to modify the center console to get them to fit before I start glassing it. That is all for the weekend.[/QUOTE]

Gauges arrived and got them set in the dash panel:

Couldn't get any closer:

And wrapped in felt ready for resin:

I'm gonna do a little more shaping...I'd like to have a small even gap between the gauges.

I got the resin brushed on and it's curing. The center area was left 'soft' so that i could shape it for placement of a double din touch screen. Up next will be sanding and reinforcing.

Decided just to forge ahead tonight...laid down some reinforcement fiberglass and got the gauges mounted:

And a tiny bit more space between the gauges:

After some more shaping...it still needs surfacing with a filler to smooth the surface:

And an idea of what it will look like...all the vents have been deleted now as if from the factory:

Got the panel sanded and primed...now comes the hardest part, filling in all the pin holes. This is the part that can make or break a piece...it will either look good at 10" or 10' depending on how much time is spent.

I can finally bring some closure to this thread.:cool:

I used some Bondo "red glazing compound" and sanded that smooth then used black Plasti-kote to finish it...there are one or two very small imperfections (I was too lazy to apply a third coat of Bondo...again, not trying to make a show car):

With the gauges installed:

And installed in the dash:

Ok fellas, the wiring is all finished and the s2k starter works like a charm....here are some pics:

It turned out perfect...I recommend this mod to anyone:up:

small progess on my center console panel. Over the past year I've realized that pasti-dip spray isn't very durable...and more importantly, attracts alot of dust and is difficult to wipe clean of dust and fuzz. I'm gonna sand the whole panel down and get it sprayed with a satin black. The steel panel will also be painted satin black to match.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm still waiting on the gauges...hopefully they'll come in Tuesday (damn holiday weekends:rolleyes:).

In the meantime here are some pics:

For the face of the center console, I'm gonna stretch a piece of felt and brush it with resin. This will form the basic shape of the face plate...it will later get reinforced and sanded smooth. This is the technique most people use to make speakerboxxxes.

#7 ·
Thanks guys:up:

After the epoxy dried:

And here is how I will mold the front....felt is stretched across the surface:

And then I will brush resin across the surface:

I'm just waiting on the gauges because I need to see how much I will have to modify the center console to get them to fit before I start glassing it. That is all for the weekend.

#13 ·
I am am gonna try the door panels to ,I know they will need cut though, if I can find a cheap set to hack. Em2 door panels brand new are cheap ,that's the only thing that's got me wanting to just not those in, wait and see. Get this piece done ,what are you gonna paint it with?

#14 ·
Something to think about,since that piece is made fit snug in there, you are adding the size around the outside of it the thinkness of the cloth and resin, it might not fit after your done, maybe you should grind 1/16" off the edge all the way around the put the cloth back on and do it, then perfect size

#16 ·
The guy on 7thgenhonda who got the RSX door panels to work never revealed how he did it....bastard:rolleyes:

As far as the finish on the center panel, I'm thinking it might be too much carbon fiber if I had it covered like the dash....that's why I'm considering just painting it satin black like the rest of the dash. I'm also thinking about covering it with "brushed aluminum" vinyl.:confused:

#19 ·
sick stuff Brian! can't wait to see this done, and in person someday :rolleyes:

#23 ·
oh my goodness i love that! makes me regret shaving my holes lol. looks really good Brian :) :up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.