Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

spark plug threaded sleeve broke off in head ...removal process?

41K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  91whitecivic 
#1 ·
So, I'm helping a close friend perform a K swap into an EG. We're just about done with the swap, just figuring out why it won't start. I remove all spark plugs to inspect them and upon re installation, spark plug at cyl #4 decides to strip right as I'm torquing it snug; it suddenly just gives out and it feels like hte spark plug broke off in the head. I pull out the spark plug via. magnet and notice the whole piece of threaded area is completely missing :confused: then it sets in and I see what happened...

the whole coller portion of the sparkplug is totally missing and stuck in the head.

My question - can i remove the stuck threaded piece from the head without pulling the head off? maybe get a long ass tap n die tool??

#3 ·
#5 ·
x2

Head gasket is like $100 . . . Wouldnt that be cheaper then buying a $250 camera?

Not saying a borescope isnt useful, but for someone who will probably never use it again, a $250 tool is a little out there.

#7 ·
be carefull with an easy out. because when it tries to grip it may swell the threads on the plug out into the threads in the head. this happens to us all the time on yamaha jet ski's. we pull the head and use an allen wrench with a dome cut into it in the center. this makes a cutting surface. pound the allen into the plug from the backside till it is through the plug. then put a socket on it and hit it with the impact. should remove the plug.
best of luck. id stay away from an easy out.

#9 ·
this happened to me on my B series car....I welded a extention to a big easy out and did it like that. i was lucky the white part of the plug came out perfect and just left the threads.

Good luck

#12 ·
thanks for the suggestions fellas :up:

I just realized i left out some detailed info as i made my first post half asleep this morning at 3am..lol

I wish I had the plug with me to show a picture of it, but luckily the white porcelain tip is completely intact. Just the threading section of the spark plug body is the part that broke off and is stuck within threading of the spark plug hole. No small pieces broke off either.

The previous owner of this motor tightened the phuc out of all the spark plugs too! I had to use 'tard stenf + leverage to remove them plugs from the head. When I reinstalled #4 cylinder snug into the head, it suddenly became real loose, as if i stripped the head.....my jaw dropped to the floor in terror....pulled out the plug and thats when i saw the missing threaded section :down::down:

I'm going to pick up an extractor and start with that first and see how that goes..I really don't want to pull the head, but if it comes to it, we will..also some anti-seize ftw

#17 ·
bah sorry for the late reply!

Well I fixed the problem the following day thanks to the 5-piece extractor kit I picked up at Sears. I'm suuuuuuuper relieved there were no small pieces that broke off into the cylinder hole!

See attached photos.

91whitecivic, I did a similar setup to yours but sans the welding, thanks for the info tho!

Portflow/Tom? thanks for offering your EZ-out! I'll mention the Copaslip to my friend for his new spark plugs.
How are ya??

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.